• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Encephalitozoon Cuniculi? (E.C.)

UsagiYojimbo

Alpha Buck
When I took Leo for his post neuter check up with a vetenery nurse, she was very insistant that I worm both him and Jemima to prevent the above. She said that week that a rabbit, who was only 9 weeks old, had come in, screeming, and had a servere case of E.C., it was put to sleep.

She said not to use Panacur as the owner of the bun above said she had treated the bunny with this, so she said it doesn't always work. Also, you have to KEEP giving it to them every 3 months.

She said Lapizole was a one use drug for worming and prevention/cure for E.C. and it lasts a lifetime. A dose for 28 days and thats it.

She also said I need to do them both at the same time and thoroughly clean their accommodation as the spores can re infect them/each other.

Does all this sound correct? ONE dosage and they will never get E.C.??? Also, the bun I said above who was screeming in pain who was pts, thoughts?

I only found out about E.C. through this website. My vet has never mentioned it. But this vetenery nurse who has her own rabbit was the one who sounded like she knew what she was on about and very insistant!

Not sure on panacure not working but pretty much everything else she has said is correct as far as I know.
I panacure mine every 3-4 months....goes best if you put it on a fenugreek crunchie ;)

Lapizole contains exactly the same active ingredient a Panacur (Fenbendazoe)

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Genitrix_Ltd/Lapizole/-43598.html

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Int...ur_Rabbit___18_75_ACU-_Oral_Paste/-42084.html

Neither will 'cure' EC and neither will give 'life-long protection'

There is no definitive advice on the EC treatment protocol re Fenbendazole (Panacur OR Lapizole), much more research is needed. Some Vets advise a 'one off' 28 day course and only re-treat if clinical symptoms present. Others suggest just using Fenbendazole when there are clinical symptoms to justify it. Personally I now do the latter.

As fo the 'screaming', this can occur in a Rabbit who is having a seizure :cry:

Last edited:
I really hope that Panacur works, literally just finished their course of it today!

My buns LOVED panacur. I had a bit of a heart attack when Blue pulled the syringe off me and ran away with it :lol:

From what I understood it's best to treat all household rabbits at the same time with the 28day dosage and then, as long as no other rabbits were introduced to the group, only treat again should symptoms show or concerns with contact be there. If you are planning on treating regularly (and with the size of J) I'd suggest looking on the internet for the liquid panacur. It's a tad messier but does the same job for a lot less cost.

Back