• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bald patch on stomach. red around the area?

ash&crystal

Alpha Buck
well i was holding lola today (she was recently ill but is better now) she has just had VHD jab yesterday and vets said she looked fine and was perky so saw no reason not to give her the jab.

anyway when i was holding lola turned her onto her back (felt somehing odd on her belly) and there was a wet patch i thought she may of lay under the water bottle and it dripped onto her(as she lay onher side) then i thought it might be ash and hermi grooming her so anyway i tried to dry it with a dry tissue and the wet wouldnt go and i then realised it was that there wasnt much fur there (thought it was just because it was wet) and it wouldnt dry??:? so i thought i should inspect the area a bit more closely and found there was a red patch around it i touched it vey softly and it doesnt seem to bother her, and i cant see it irritating her. she also isnt scratching it or anything. so just wondering shold i leave it or try and dry it or just keep a close eye on her(already am;))so has anyone had experiance or this or know whether this is just irritation of some sort

thanks
ash&crystal

Oooh no sorry no experience of that, I would be inclined to bathe it with cooled salted boiled water for 24 hours new piece of cotton wool for each wipe and dry thoroughly, if it is weepy or still red/inflammed in anyway I would get her to the vet for a check over, it could be overgrooming or an insect bite perhaps? Hope it isn't anything nasty.

Oooh no sorry no experience of that, I would be inclined to bathe it with cooled salted boiled water for 24 hours new piece of cotton wool for each wipe and dry thoroughly, if it is weepy or still red/inflammed in anyway I would get her to the vet for a check over, it could be overgrooming or an insect bite perhaps? Hope it isn't anything nasty.

yeah if it inflames she will have to put up with a car journey to the vets

yeah if it inflames she will have to put up with a car journey to the vets

fingers crossed but, I wouldn't leave it more than 24 hours, if it is still weepy or if you notice she is irritated at all then take her straight away, I would keep a close eye on her eating etc aswell just in case. Someone else may come along to suggest something else but, as she seems alright in herself it should be alright to monitor and clean for 24 hours.

fingers crossed but, I wouldn't leave it more than 24 hours, if it is still weepy or if you notice she is irritated at all then take her straight away, I would keep a close eye on her eating etc aswell just in case. Someone else may come along to suggest something else but, as she seems alright in herself it should be alright to monitor and clean for 24 hours.

Yeah until she herself starts to become irritated and iff she stops eating or it gets worse i will take her to the vets. i just thought it seemed really odd:?

Yeah until she herself starts to become irritated and iff she stops eating or it gets worse i will take her to the vets. i just thought it seemed really odd:?

It does seem odd, as I said unless an insect nipped her and she has overgroomed maybe? Oh hang on - what VHD injection did she have?

the vet didnt say the type sorry:oops:

It might be worth ringing them tbh as she was vaccinated yesterday, any changes in any pet within 24 hours after a vaccine should be advised to them, mine give a card with the label from the vaccine in, there are two types Lapinject and Cylap, the latter I believe can have side-affects although more likely to be a limp or muscle weakness and lethargy I believe. I would ring them and say what you have found and request a vaccination card for her, it's your record to what they have administered into your rabbit. You would need it for boarding etc so they should have given you one.

It might be worth ringing them tbh as she was vaccinated yesterday, any changes in any pet within 24 hours after a vaccine should be advised to them, mine give a card with the label from the vaccine in, there are two types Lapinject and Cylap, the latter I believe can have side-affects although more likely to be a limp or muscle weakness and lethargy I believe. I would ring them and say what you have found and request a vaccination card for her, it's your record to what they have administered into your rabbit. You would need it for boarding etc so they should have given you one.

oh now you say its a cylap it says on our appointment card

oh now you say its a cylap it says on our appointment card

Oh right, I would definately ring them then, apparently this vaccine can have side effects in rabbits, (although both of mine were fine) i think the concensus is that Lapinject is better as there are much less risks of unwanted after effects. You do need to notify them as for all you know it could be a dodgy batch or something (hopefully not) but, better to be safe than sorry and you should have a vaccination card, it is your record that is updated everytime you go, as I said mine stick the label from the bottle on the card and the vet signs it. Its very quick and you should have a record in case of probs and in case you want to use a boarding facility or something. It won't hurt to call them, ask for a vet to ring back, say you are a bit concerned and explain/describe what you found, the nurse can sort the vaccination card for you.

Oh right, I would definately ring them then, apparently this vaccine can have side effects in rabbits, (although both of mine were fine) i think the concensus is that Lapinject is better as there are much less risks of unwanted after effects. You do need to notify them as for all you know it could be a dodgy batch or something (hopefully not) but, better to be safe than sorry and you should have a vaccination card, it is your record that is updated everytime you go, as I said mine stick the label from the bottle on the card and the vet signs it. Its very quick and you should have a record in case of probs and in case you want to use a boarding facility or something. It won't hurt to call them, ask for a vet to ring back, say you are a bit concerned and explain/describe what you found, the nurse can sort the vaccination card for you.

yas we asked about a card because ash has one they said they would sort one out and we could drop in and pick it up sometime(?? dont know when??) also our other rabbit has been vaccinated the same day time and on the same batch and is fine i thought aswell that it could be a bad batch but no side affects from her. maybe she ijust isnt showing signs yet?

yas we asked about a card because ash has one they said they would sort one out and we could drop in and pick it up sometime(?? dont know when??) also our other rabbit has been vaccinated the same day time and on the same batch and is fine i thought aswell that it could be a bad batch but no side affects from her. maybe she ijust isnt showing signs yet?

Yes or perhaps there is another reason why some are more prone to the side effects? I have no idea I'm sorry I am only going on what I have read on here, I questioned my vet on it but, he wasn't really aware of any problems reported on the vaccine and that's why it's important to monitor any pet 24-48 hour after vaccinations - you should ring them I think, just to be sure - if she gets worse or infected or stops eating later you will kick yourself.

Yes or perhaps there is another reason why some are more prone to the side effects? I have no idea I'm sorry I am only going on what I have read on here, I questioned my vet on it but, he wasn't really aware of any problems reported on the vaccine and that's why it's important to monitor any pet 24-48 hour after vaccinations - you should ring them I think, just to be sure - if she gets worse or infected or stops eating later you will kick yourself.

my vets are on emergency vets at the moment. do emergency vets give you information or just tell you to bring her in. shall i eave it untill morrning:)?:)

It sounds a bit like an abcess to me. My cat had one last week, so it's fresh in my memory!

Hers didn't seem to bother her either, she was purring away, and let us have a look at it, but she had to have an op to remove it and clean it all out the next day. She still has the collar to prove it!

If it is an abcess, it's good if there isn't a scab over the top, it makes them much easier to treat. Type abcess into google images to see if they are similar

xxx

te skin isnt red where there is no hair it is more spots of red around the edge where there is fur, if you get what I mean? she is eating and is acting normally.

Hmm. Perhaps not an abcess then. No idea!:?

I think emergency vets do give you information over the phone, and you both decide from there whether to take her in or leave it til morning.

xxx

Yes up to you really, I see your dilemma if she is fine in herself, maybe keep a close eye and bathe it a couple of times and ring them in the morning. If she does act out of the norm get straight on the phone. Fingers crossed for you that it's nothing major, I don't have any experience of abcesses so can't advice at all but, I thought as in humans they were more of a lump?:? Let us know tomorrow how it's going - if it's healed or you've gone to vet etc

Is this the bunny who had the poorly tummy the other day? If it is, it could be a possibility that she plucked out her tummy fur because her tummy hurt so much and she was trying to make it better.

Back