• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rehoming from an individual on rabbit rehome?

gemmam

Alpha Buck
I have been browsing bunnies in my area and one has caught my eye. She is being rehomed by her owner rather than a rescue, just wondered if anyone has done this? I have e-mailed to ask a bit more about her. Would you expect to pay a donation to an individual? It's not that I don't want to "pay" as such, just feels a bit like "buying" a rabbit :?. Then again, i can see why they might ask for payment to ensure the perosn adopting really wants her etc.

Anyway will see what she says if she e-mails back.

Is it her owner or has the person taken her on with the purpose of rehoming her? I have done this before but asked the new owner to make a donation to a rescue rather than myself?

I don't know actually, it just says is being rehomed by a private individual. That's a great idea about donating to a rescue instead, would feel more than happy with that. Bunny isn't vaccinated or spayed I don't think so wouldn't expect to make a huge donation anyway as I'll have that to pay for, just not sure what to expect.

I have twice, been free but didn't state on advert so not to get the wrong people. Asked lots of questions to make sure that they weren't going to get anymore. Brackens owner asked me to make a donation to a local rescue which we both agreed was te best way and gave her a thankyou note and a box of chocs :)

I don't know actually, it just says is being rehomed by a private individual. That's a great idea about donating to a rescue instead, would feel more than happy with that. Bunny isn't vaccinated or spayed I don't think so wouldn't expect to make a huge donation anyway as I'll have that to pay for, just not sure what to expect.

If she isn't vacc'd or spayed I wouldn't expect to make a donation :?

If she isn't vacc'd or spayed I wouldn't expect to make a donation :?

I know, that's sort of what I was thinking, but then I can see why someone wouldn't want to offer their rabbit free :?

I'll wait and see what she says, and make it clear I will be getting vaccs/spay asap and take it from there.

I know, that's sort of what I was thinking, but then I can see why someone wouldn't want to offer their rabbit free :?

I'll wait and see what she says, and make it clear I will be getting vaccs/spay asap and take it from there.

Yeah this is why I asked for a donation to be made to a rescue, so it wasn't free

Not quite the same but I rehomed my chinchillas from an individual and they've turned out to both be poorly and will probably cost me £100s in vet fees - I'm not saying that all individuals are untrustworthy but you may not get the same transparency and reliability that you do from a rescue.

I certainly wouldn't expect to pay the individual, f they want money to prove that you're committed it should be a donation to a rescue.

I rehomed Leo from an individual on RR. He was neutered but his vaccs were due and he came with his cage and food etc. There was never any mention of a donation/payment, I think they were happy enough that he was going to a good home as they no longer had the time for him. I still send his previous owners the odd email/photograph to let them know how he's getting on.

The bunny has already been rehomed anyway but thanks for all the replies.

I am in tyne and wear Collielover.

Np Just the Rabbits I foster and have put up for rehome in the site for the rescue show up as private rehomes ...I just wondered incase it was one of ours

Back