• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Regular Veggies...

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Hey all,

I've done a search on the forum but nothing definitive so thought id ask all your wonderful people... :wave:

Couple of questions regarding veggies!

1) What Vegetables do you give your bun(s) on a regular basis (e.g Daily)
2) How much Veg do you give your bun(s) on a regular basis (e.g Daily) and how do you measure it?
3) Do you split their food at all during the day? (e.g - do you feed once in the morning and once in the evening, or just in the morning, or just when its empty?)

Just being curious, as to see what works for different people and whats best for my bunster.

Cheers in advance! :)

Mine have a handful of pellets in the morning, some veg when I get in from work, usually two carrots and two large handful of spring greens between four of them. Some people don't recommend feeding carrot everyday but mine have never had any problems with it, sometimes I will add in some herbs or carrot tops if I have them, they also get a few pellets in the evening so I can check they are eating before bedtime

ive started to try and feed a wilder diet this summer :D

i only feed veg once a day and the stuff i forage for is - bramble leaves (about 8-10) rose leaves gradually up to about 5 leaves over a few weeks, hawthorn leaves again gradually built up from a few leaves to a couple of small branches. nettle leaves (5)

i also give basil from a pot i keep in my window

human veg i give a small handful of Kale and 1 leaf of romaine.

^^^^^^^ makes a plate full which they demolish withing 10-15mins

i have no idea what im going to do in the winter :?

All 12 of mine have the same diet.

Breakfast for each PAIR is a medium carrot, half apple, half stalk celery and about 4 big leaves of spring cabbage.

Evening they have their pellets, and bedtime they will have a bit of parsnip or banana, pear or brocolli - they only have a little bit though as I use it to check they're all still eating ok.

They all have free range time in the garden and so have a good chomp on the grass, and help to prune their favourite plants each day, and whenever I can scavenge good dandelions they'll have them too.

Mine don't get any pellets, so I guess they have more veg than the average bun. They have (approx) 2 large carrots, 1/3 cucumber, 1/2 a pot of herbs, 2 handfuls of watercress, spininch and rocket mix and a stick of celery every day. That's only in summer though, when they have grass too. In winter they have more, and a wider variety.

It's more than I would reccommend feeding 2 rabbits their size though (Dutchies) as Ginger's on a high calorie diet due to not absorbing food after intestinal damage. I would also limit carrot for a healthy bun to maybe one small one every 2 days, or something like that. Carrot has a lot of sugar which isn't very good for them.

The reason you haven't found a definitive answer is because there is not one. Its a case of people making choices (preferably informed choices) for the rabbits and there can be many ok and right ways to do it.

Mine have a pinch of pellets in the morning, and then in the evening something else (which may be some grass, a small bit of fruit, a small bit of greens, or a couple more pellets) just to check all is well. They have unlimited hay and mine probably eat a diet of 90-95% hay.

I tend to use fresh for medication giving as well, so in those instances, those bunnies get more.

Sky-O, that was why i was asking for people's feeding habbits, so i could make an informed decision on what's right for us.

Sounds like your buns are on a very natural diet, i guess thats mainly what they would have in the wild.

Thanks all though for your answers so far, Biscuit seems to be a stable weight and looks perfect so i'll maybe just monitor what im feeding him and maybe make some slow modifications over time.

Thanks again :D

I give a small handful of pellets and probably two 6" bowls of veg each day, half in the morning and half in the evening. Hay ad lib all day of course. Not sure why I do it like that but they seem to do ok on it :)

I don't feed any one veg every day, I like to mix it up a bit. In summer they just get weeds, herbs and veggies from the garden/allotment. In winter I tend to buy cabbage, saldy bits, herbs and celery. This year I'm hoping to dry a lot of stuff during summer and use that to supplement their diet during winter.

All rabbits are different though so there's no one answer suitable for all rabbits - it's more a matter of tinkering with it over time till you find what suits your bun(s).

Back