• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have you had your buns microchipped?

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Just wondering if its worth getting them chipped or not??

I would imagine if a bunny goes missing its not often they get handed in!?! :(

Some places don't check either I don't think. If mine were outside I'd probably do it depending on price, but mine are indoors and upstairs. Not much chance of them getting out.

Mine's indoors so he hasnt got much chance of getting out! It's prob something i might consider if he was an outdoor bun though because of accessibility into my garden. :shock:

Paddy and Peaches are, but that's only because they were chipped by the RSPCA branch that I got them from

No, mine are not microchipped and they live outdoors. But the only way to access my back garden in through the garage or the house so there's next to no chance of them escaping.

Bella is microchipped, she came microchipped from the rescue we got her from.
Archie isn't though, i am currently debating whether to get him chipped or not. It is big injection to be given without GA.
When Mollie (cocker spaniel) was chipped she bled quite badly afterwards, so this is currently what is stopping me from chipping Archie.

locksley is microchipped, my first bun ive had done, the thing they use looks big, but the needle is only tiny, its done in a matter of seconds :wave:

didnt know they could get micro chipped but i would def look into it (for me) because ash has had a few.........experiances of the outdoors

Cloud has a chip, she's from the RSPCA. I was told that they've started doing all the bunnies as pretty much half the buns they take in for rehoming over here are found as strays and unclaimed.

I haven't had my other six chipped because of the expense :oops: but I think I would get them done if I had the money. Just knowing that if they did get found as strays somehow, they'd almost certainly get taken to the RSPCA and the RSPCA would check them.

My local RSPCA will chip for £12 per pet, which I *think* is cheaper than at the vets, and most of the money will go back to the RSPCA.

Of course, if they went missing you would want to know you have done everything you can to get them back, even if it is unlikely.

some vets do special discounts at certain times of the year, i didn't know they where due for discount when i asked to get locksley in, the vet said we have a discount month, she checked her computer and said i was in luck, when i asked for him to be done, as it was same week

I've not had mine chipped. Been talking about it but I doubt we will have them done.

If they did happen to get out they'd have a hard time getting out of the garden as it's all enclosed. If they managed to really escape then it's unlikely they'd be caught anyway.

Three of my rabbits are rung, rings are visible unlike a microchip, and the ring numbers are registered under my name. My other two aren't, I really should get them done :?

I don't like to see rings on rabbits :?

Mine are not chipped, they are free range supervised and their shed/run is very secure and on concrete... i am thinking about getting them done though, my cats are indoor cats mainly but have had them done.

Even when they are kept indoors it's still possible they could escape. If someone broke into your house and left the doors open they could get out.

Both mine are chipped :D

Being house buns there is always a risk that they could escape out the front door, or as Stator says if a burglar breaks in and leaves the doors open.

My vet has chipped his bunnies - he lets his free range in his garden during the day:? :roll: and one day they got out and he got a phone call at work from another vet to say they had his rabbits! He was very embarassed but glad he had chipped them!

Back