• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea Pig advice needed

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
Took Beryl to emergency vets on Saturday (suspected UTI) and she's now on a course of Baytril. I asked for Septrin but they didn't have any (it wasn't my regular rabbit/piggy vet) so I had to take the Baytril. Anyway, she's now got the runs, caused no doubt, by the antibiotics. She's managing to keep herself fairly clean and I'm washing her bottom if it's dirty. I've also put Avipro Plus in her drinking water. She lives indoors so flies are not too much of a problem.

Is there anything else I can do to help counteract the effect of the Baytril? I have an appointment to see my proper rabbit/piggy vet on Friday morning.

I had this happen with a piggy once. Is the pig eating and drinking, and do they like the Avipro in the water? I found the probiotic sorted it out, and I was able to complete the course of Baytril. You need to reduce the green food (or stop it) and up the hay eating, if you can. Or grass, if it's tolerated.

She doesn't seem to mind the Avipro and I can cut down the greens quite a bit so I'll do that as well. She's eating/drinking as normal. Thanks for the advice.

Back