• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cookie has been dropped! :(

rachylou

Warren Veteran
I am really worried about her and thanking our lucky stars that she is going to the vets tomorrow!
Obviously it was not done on purpose, we had her out in our room so she could stretch her legs and have a run around and when it came to putting her back in her cage, my Husband picked her up and she lept out of his arms and fell to the floor landing on her side she seems ok in herself but because she was spayed less than 2 weeks ago I am so worried she may have internal damage?! :cry:

Thankyou, do you think she will be ok? Are they tougher than we think? I am really worried about her! :cry:

It would be very difficult for any of us to make suggestions really - rabbits fly out of peoples arms all the time I am sure - sometimes with no ill effects and sometimes they can have hurt their spine/bones or be bruised or winded. They of course will hide their pain to avoid being 'picked off'. So she may well be okay, but then again she may be hiding her pain. As far as breaks go, you should be able to see if she isn't moving correctly but any internal damage wouldn't be very obvious.

You are right to be concerned as any torsion/twisting (particularly to right herself whilst falling) could cause problems with her internal stitches. She could suffer from a tear or internal bleeding which you would not be able to spot, but a vet might be able to feel for or at least know what to be looking for. Swelling and change in temperature would be a sign that all is not well.

If you think that the height from which she fell or the angle at which she landed could cause any harm, then I don't think you have any option Rachael but you should call the emergency vet, even if it's just to talk to them about her. They should give basic advice over the phone but if you are in any doubt, then if I were you, I'd be down to the vets.

Last edited:
Sound advice from Helen so I won't add to it,but just wondering how Cookie is this morning? :love:

I am really sorry for not updating sooner!!
Everything is ok, her health check went well, vet could not see any problems and had a feel of her tummy, he said she seems like a happy bunny and I think he had a soft spot for her! :love:
She would not let him look in her mouth!! but he did say that he would imagine that the vet who spayed her would have looked in her mouth whilst she was under.
We found an old wound on her shoulder this morning, the vet had a look and had to pick the scab off to check for any infection as it looked like a pretty nasty wound, he said it looked clean and just to keep bathing it and put the Manuka Honey on it then after 2 weeks it should be completly healed, then she can go back for her VHD jab.

Back