• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do when your poorly? Do you have someone else to look after the bunnies?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I've been really ill today, laid in bed most of the day sick, ear, throat infection and fever. I still have antibiotics to do and i've noone else who can do them for me really should i get sick. I do have someone who would feed and water them whilst i'm away etc. Obviously i can't go on holiday when the buns are ill though.

What does everyone do when they fall ill with regards to the bunnies. Just curious to know.

Thanks
Ambience x

struggle :(

when i had that evil virus last year i still had to clean the litter trays it took almost an hour i was so poorly but i got it done.

ive got a cold now so i am overdue hoovering by a few days but the buns dont mind :D

i guess if i asked my mom would come over and help

I struggle through. I was very ill for nearly a year. I still had to sort all the animals out. Even with two kids old enough to help .. I still did it all.

Could hardly walk and was in terrible pain, but I was still found in the garden with bin bags and dirty litter trays :roll:

struggle :(

when i had that evil virus last year i still had to clean the litter trays it took almost an hour i was so poorly but i got it done.

ive got a cold now so i am overdue hoovering by a few days but the buns dont mind :D

i guess if i asked my mom would come over and help

Yes everything is a mission. 15 minute job turns into an hour and so on. I think me and the buns are going through a healing crisis at the moment, i've been detoxing and so have they. We all seem to be ill at the moment. 7 buns, one human :)

It's nice that your mum would help. I think my sister and my boyfriend would if i asked really nicely too.

Ambience x

I suppose the alternative is to get a pet sitter in. I wonder how much that would be fore 14 buns.

I've never been particularly ill since getting the bunnies but if I literally can't made it outside to deal with them then I'd get my partner to do it, or at worst my brother as he works in the shop which my garden is behind.

i was very ill a few years ago when we had chickens and couldn't even go to the toilet without help and my little brother demanded I pay him if I wanted his help!!

If I'm really poorly, my husband helps out but I always sit there thinking 'you're not doing it right/Phoebe An doesn't like her blanket folded like that/Honey likes her hay in a holder, not in her bowl etc.etc' :roll: By the time I've told him how I like things done I could've done it so I usually end up doing it myself :lol:

I've only been ill once to that extent since having bunnies (approx 6 years). I've had a couple of really bad headaches when I've had to cancel the evening snuggle and just leave them which was horrible.

The time I was really poorly I had flu and I did manage to look after them on two days that I was really bad but it was a struggle. I got up and threw some pellets to T&R and after about an hour managed to give all a spring green leaf. I had Izzy outside at that time and I just lay on the settee for about 2 hours psyching myself up to find the energy to going outside to tend to her. She got no attention off me for about three days just basic feeding :cry::cry::cry:

My mum helped out after that day and it was hillarious looking back. I couldn't speak except a very faint whisper which really hurt and my mum had bad tinnitus so you needed to shout :lol::lol: I was getting really grumpy as I just didn't have the energy to explain anything. One day she was convinced I was trying to empty a litter tray (I wasn't strong enough to do that) and kept asking what to do ... I just shushed her and filled the water bowl which is all I was doing all along :roll:

I dread to think what I'd do without my mum next door but I do have some lovely neighbours so I would be alright if I rang them (assuming I could speak:?).

so far, i've managed even when ill. but my daughter lives nearby and she would look after bunnies for me. a couple of times i've been too ill to get to the shops and she's been for stuff for me and the buns. i'd do the same for her, and she has a husband too who can look after her and her bunnies.

Last edited:
My boyfriend looks after the rabbits on the days I'm ill, which sadly is often due to me having endometriosis, and I have to be in agonising pain not to see to them. Luckily Firefly often doubled as a hot water bottle when I was in that much pain :love:

Generally I just struggle, but if I've got a migraine then mum will help me do it. Those are rare though.

When I was in hospital mum stayed with me in hospital (yes, at 27 :lol: but it was only overnight), and dad and my brother did the rabbits..... badly :lol: As a result of that we now have a whiteboard in the hallway which says what medication each rabbit is on and when any future appointments at the vets are so hopefully it wouldn't be stuffed up again.

I try to get on with it, if I am that bad my brother will help me and he is pretty good with them so I do trust him. If he can tell that I am too sick he will just get on with it and bring them to me for some attention and stuff, I have never actually had to ask him to help with them so that makes me feel better that they wouldn't be forgotten if I had an accident or anything :)

I've got my mum. Wow, she was magical when I was ill with the ME. She'd do the rabbits for me every day, and bring them up to my room to let them run around.

Love you mum! xx

My hubby looks after them if I cant, and vice versa.

If neither of us could do it we are fortunate to have his parents nearby.

I do often wonder how people who live by themselves cope when they are ill.

Hubby usually feeds Louie in the evening and changes his littertray anyway!

Louie only needs feeding by me in the morning and the kids would do it if I gave clear instructions or Hubby if he wasn't at work :D

I generally just struggle on :? Dan will feed Lottie and George, and the foster buns, but he cant manage to get down the garden to Ron and Lolly so i have to do them no matter what. If i was in hospital (which i hope never happens!) my mum would more than likely do the bunnies for me xx

If I was ill and my husband wasnt at work he would do it, he sometimes does the last top up of hay at night as he smokes so goes out sorts Pip has ciggy and then locks up! If I gave him instructions he would do litter trays etc and when he was at work my mum or Sky-O would do it (wouldnt you Sky-O ;)) :lol:

I don't have anyone else to look after my fur family so I do it no matter how poorly I am. I don't know what would happen if I had to go into hospital. I guess friends would try and help but I don't have any local bunny friends so I would worry they wouldn't look after my buns properly.

I don't ever go on holiday as it is too much hassle and expense to try and find a pet sitter - and I'd worry they weren't doing it properly anyway - not that I am a control freak at all!!:oops:

My parents help me. I normally struggle through anyway (M.E.) and get them to help me move boxes up and down the stairs. Or I ask Mum to do the hoovering - soon won't have to do that - oh lino, I love you. I have it to an art now which means it's not too much work. I get the new boxes ready in the garage, bring them up and swap them over, take the old ones back to the garage. That gets done every 2-3 days as they have two very large trays. Then I hoover every so often and change towels every so often. Also when the boxes come back from the allotment they have to be washed out with boiling water. So it's looks of small stuff that I can spread out. If I'm really bad then I'd get them to do it all.

I struggle although my other half trys to help, dont really like anyone else looking after my animals :oops: my sister would come round if i was really sick.

Back