• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home bonding section aimed at children

nursecroft

Wise Old Thumper
Ok I've decided to go ahead with the leaflet. PAH have asked how they could add a section in their leaflet about bonding bunnies that children would understand.... any ideas?

Yay!

"you wouldn't want to go to school if you didn't have a best friend"

something like that, as a childs best friend is their world, besides their family :wave:

When I talk to kids about my buns I just say that rabbits like a friend to play with and cuddle up to. I always ask how many babies they think my two have had together and when they all shout answers I say actually my rabbits haven't had any babies because they've both had a little operation to stop them having them. It means that they both become better friends and lots of girl rabbits get unwell if they don't have the operation. If it's a boy rabbit the operation is called neutering but in a girl it's called spaying.

It was the simplest way I could think to put it, if the kids are older I'll tell them that female rabbits are prone to a type of cancer if they've not been spayed.

That covers the first bit of the bonding process but as I've never bonded buns I'd not be much use on the rest.

Thanks guys, they already have advice on neutering they were asking about some simple bonding steps, obviously the parents will read the leaflet too.

It's a tricky one really isn't it, because I wouldn't really want children to be able to understand it and attempt bonding!

Maybe as well as any information you can give, it could say something along the lines of 'if you're not confident, why not see if you can find a rescue near you who may be able to help'. At least that way it might encourage people to seek out further advice before taking the plunge.

I would say stuff like

~need a small space to meet each other.

~need a space that is new for both of them.

~need to be watched to make sure they don't fight.

Something about only like to move in together when they properly know each other, or something like that.

Those would probably be the first three.

well i think you need two sections or two leaflets one for adults and one for children as bonding is not something that a child should b undertaking as it can be stressful adn if done incorrectly it can cause injurys, for adult one i am sure you know teh kind of in depth things you can put fora child how about

picture of bunny
Hi im bozo,
i am lonely can you get me a freind?

i like to have the opposite to me so because i am a boy i would like a girlfreind where as if your bunny is a girl she will probebly want a boyfreind although sometimes i will play with others the same as me.

To make sure i dont fight about which part of the bedroom is mine when i first meet my freind i need to be in a relatively small space maybe a large indoor cage or a puppy pen. in this put me some toys and a bowl of food and a bowl of water, i also sometimes get shy so a hidey box is nice too. all the toys and bowls should be ones iv not smelt before so i dont think they are mine its best we can share things from new or your mummy can make them neutral with a special vinegar spray.

also to stop us having lots of bunnys and our home becoming to small i need a small operation at the vets (so does my freind) the adults call this a neuter.

Like with you sometimes i fall out with my freinds i have to tell them im the leader of the gang i do this by sometimes playing chase and cuddling, i also make sure they know by pulling a little patch of their hair sometimes

you must always watch me while i am making freinds as sometimes i get scared or grumpy and might feel threatened then i may play too rough and hurt my freind or they hurt me if this happens your mum or dad will have to step in they will know what to do by reading the "adults guide"

Once we are licking each other and cuddling up nicely for more than 24 hours you can give us a bit more play room this should be done slowly though else i might fight about who the play space belongs to.

I love to eat with freinds and this is often a good time for me to get to know the other bunny

I will love having a freind but i will still want you as my freind too so dont forget me after i get my new pal!

It's a tricky one really isn't it, because I wouldn't really want children to be able to understand it and attempt bonding!

Maybe as well as any information you can give, it could say something along the lines of 'if you're not confident, why not see if you can find a rescue near you who may be able to help'. At least that way it might encourage people to seek out further advice before taking the plunge.

Thats a good idea :wave: i completely agree, although i suppose its better than them just putting them together without a thought. I would *hope* that the parents would look at the booklet too and have a slightly better understanding of rabbit behaviour. Just so mnay buns are taken back for not getting on with eachother when really if they stuck to the basic bonding rules there may not have been a problem.

I would say stuff like

~need a small space to meet each other.

~need a space that is new for both of them.

~need to be watched to make sure they don't fight.

Something about only like to move in together when they properly know each other, or something like that.

Those would probably be the first three.

Yes I think those are good, i think they are trying to keep it to the point and simple.

well i think you need two sections or two leaflets one for adults and one for children as bonding is not something that a child should b undertaking as it can be stressful adn if done incorrectly it can cause injurys, for adult one i am sure you know teh kind of in depth things you can put fora child how about

picture of bunny
Hi im bozo,
i am lonely can you get me a freind?

i like to have the opposite to me so because i am a boy i would like a girlfreind where as if your bunny is a girl she will probebly want a boyfreind although sometimes i will play with others the same as me.

To make sure i dont fight about which part of the bedroom is mine when i first meet my freind i need to be in a relatively small space maybe a large indoor cage or a puppy pen. in this put me some toys and a bowl of food and a bowl of water, i also sometimes get shy so a hidey box is nice too. all the toys and bowls should be ones iv not smelt before so i dont think they are mine its best we can share things from new or your mummy can make them neutral with a special vinegar spray.

also to stop us having lots of bunnys and our home becoming to small i need a small operation at the vets (so does my freind) the adults call this a neuter.

Like with you sometimes i fall out with my freinds i have to tell them im the leader of the gang i do this by sometimes playing chase and cuddling, i also make sure they know by pulling a little patch of their hair sometimes

you must always watch me while i am making freinds as sometimes i get scared or grumpy and might feel threatened then i may play too rough and hurt my freind or they hurt me if this happens your mum or dad will have to step in they will know what to do by reading the "adults guide"

Once we are licking each other and cuddling up nicely for more than 24 hours you can give us a bit more play room this should be done slowly though else i might fight about who the play space belongs to.

I love to eat with freinds and this is often a good time for me to get to know the other bunny

I will love having a freind but i will still want you as my freind too so dont forget me after i get my new pal!

Thats all good stuff, its just getting my head round lingo that children would understand!

You could add something like

~you should only try and do this with a respponsible adult helping you.

Or something.

I would definately put a suggestion that bonding is done at a rescue centre!! Children should really NOT be the ones who go about bonding bunnies! Maybe it could say something like,

'Your bunny will be much happier with a best friend to play with. An experienced grown-up will need to show you how to help rabbits play together nicely at first. Some rabbit rescue centres will do it for you, though you may have to give them a donation to say thank you. The people at the rescue centre will have done this lots of times before, and are great at helping bunnies make friends.'

Well done for going with the leaflet. I for one think you're doing the right thing. :D

Last edited:
I would definately put a suggestion that bonding is done at a rescue centre!! Children should really NOT be the ones who go about bonding bunnies! Maybe it could say something like,

'An experienced grown-up will need to show you how to help your bunnies make friends. Some rabbit rescue centres will do it for you, though you may have to give them a donation to say thank you. The people at the rescue centre will have done this lots of times before, and your bunny will be much happier with a best friend.'

Well done for going with the leaflet. I for one think you're doing the right thing. :D

yes thats a definate good point :)

All great points guys, am going to put them together and suggest different ways of putting it in the leaflet and see what they say.

Thankyou :wave:

Oh and of course i have to send the images and they need to makesure they are good enough quality to use... the ones they want anyway so might not even go ahead yet but still can have my say on the leaflet :lol:

Oh and of course i have to send the images and they need to makesure they are good enough quality to use... the ones they want anyway so might not even go ahead yet but still can have my say on the leaflet :lol:

I'm so happy that one of 'us' is making a difference with P@H. :D Go Nursecroft!!

If this one is for a new leaflet, I wonder if it's worth contacting the RWA as well to see if they have any thoughts/suggestions/ideas etc? Anne is usually pretty quick at replying to emails and they have been trying to work with PAH so might be happy to also get involved :)

Also maybe something about how rabbits need another rabbit friend, not a guinea pig because they can't be friends with a guinea pig.

Back