• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Panicking about Sky- being pathetic about it

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Sky is like my ultimate rabbit. He's my very, best friend.

For a few months he has been breathing quickly. He had a course of Zithromax which didn't change it. He has less obvious days and days, like today, when its more obvious. His lungs sound clear (and did do before and after the Zithromax). My vet is reluctant to use more antibiotics for no obvious reason.

I'm so terrified of losing him. I've told me vet he HAS to live forever. There is no option in that. I'm dependent on him always being here and can't handle the thought he may not be. Especially with losing facing Badger Fadger.

I don't know what to do. Should I ask for something like an x-ray to see if there is anything obvious there?

I had no idea what it might be but am now wondering (thanks to Amy 104) if this may be allergy related in some way because he is bad today and my hayfever is awful. He also had a really bad time when we got some very rubbish hay (which went as soon as I knew it was rubbish).

I just don't want to lose him but don't want to put him through anything unnecessarily with regards to tests.

Any thoughts?

Could it be the heat just making him need to breathe faster to cool down quicker?

Is he eating and pooping and doing all the usual as normal? Does it seem to be distressing him at all? Is he flopped out or sat with his nose in the air?

Did his problem start after the bad hay, it could have sparked an allergy ( it was only after working with bad hay that I developed an allergy to it) or he could have picked up a fungal infection like aspergillis- although I think he would be quite ill if it was aspergillis.

If it is something asthmatic/ allergy as well as antihistamines it may be worth asking about an inhaler- either for use with a bronchiodilator and/ or steroids, it may help with the symptoms.

I think allergies in rabbit may be becoming more recognised than they were previously. I could never see why they would be a rare occurence when they occur so readily in other species.

I think it might be helpful to first rule out the most common causes of rapid breathing such as heat, pain, infection, reduced chest space etc. and then perhaps in the absence of any other symptoms it could be considered. I'm not sure I would be jumping to steroids and bronchodilators at this early stage, maybe a NSAID and trying an antihistamine is the next step? You are not being pathetic at all, you know your bunny well. I suggest a vet trip to atleast discuss it and have Sky have a thorough examination, might put your mind at rest a bit. :)

Certainly sounds very similar to Bluebell so I know exactly how you feel. On bad days Bluebells breathing is very fast too and either he can't be bothered to move much or he keeps getting up and down like he can't get comfortable. Yet oddly he still finds the energy to chase off his wifebun when her fussing gets to much for him. They are the closest of my pairs and usually inseperable and I think she is just as worried about him as I am. If I get anything useful from my vet I will let you know.

Back