• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Allergies / Respitory Problems

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Bluebell has seen the vets on numerous occassions reference dry sneezing and raspy breathing sounds. Although initially skeptical my vet is now pretty sure this is allergy related, teeth are fine and the lungs are clear. He also thought the noise might be some sort of larangyal issue although he wasn't sure what. He advised I just monitor Bluebell and see how he goes. He seems to have really good days then down days which I have been checking against the pollen count and it fits that he is at his worse when its high. I am guessing his immune system must be pretty low as I have had to treat him for mites and now where he is pretty inactive on his bad days he is developing what looks like the onset of sore hocks. I've also noticed some days his fur is stained as if he has been sitting in his urine so scald and fly strike are a worry as well. His appetite is healthy and some days you wouldn't know there was anthing wrong with him. I'm waiting on a call back from the vet to discuss trying piriton but is there anything else we could try? Would nebulising help?

Bluebell has seen the vets on numerous occassions reference dry sneezing and raspy breathing sounds. Although initially skeptical my vet is now pretty sure this is allergy related, teeth are fine and the lungs are clear. He also thought the noise might be some sort of larangyal issue although he wasn't sure what. He advised I just monitor Bluebell and see how he goes. He seems to have really good days then down days which I have been checking against the pollen count and it fits that he is at his worse when its high. I am guessing his immune system must be pretty low as I have had to treat him for mites and now where he is pretty inactive on his bad days he is developing what looks like the onset of sore hocks. I've also noticed some days his fur is stained as if he has been sitting in his urine so scald and fly strike are a worry as well. His appetite is healthy and some days you wouldn't know there was anthing wrong with him. I'm waiting on a call back from the vet to discuss trying piriton but is there anything else we could try? Would nebulising help?

I can't imagine nebulising would be of any benefit really, it is more for buns who are congested with pus and infection. If there is no infection present and just inflammation then I would have thought the best thing would be non-steroidal anti-inflammatories and perhaps trying an anti-histamine, as you say, piriton - although I have no idea if this is the most suitable rabbit friendly anti-histamine. Being in Bristol can you not refer to Langford Vets for a second opinion? Or ask your vet to get their advice on the anti-histamine?

If his immunity is low it might suggest there is more going on than you perhaps realise and perhaps his allergen intolerance is more as a result of his poor immune health than the other way around? Is there definitely no infection present? Perhaps chest Xrays would be helpful in his diagnosis? He does sound a bit run down poor lad doesn't he. Hope you can get to the bottom of it all.

I really feel for you with this. I hope you can find out whatever is going on for poor Bluebell.

Santa gave me so excellent info re the piriton which I sent to my vet last week, unfortunately he was on holiday, hence why I am waiting for his call back today.

The vet was confident there was no infection. In fact when he last saw Bluebell apart from the noise I think the vet felt I was worrying for nothing, its hard to explain but I guess when you spend so much time with them you get to know when they are just not thereselves. He recently went into boarding whilst I was on Honeymoon and they kept an extra close eye on him and didn't think there was much of a problem either.

He suffered last year and was seen by a different vet who was of a similar opinion but this year it just seems 10 times worse.

I am lucky we live so close to Langford but I am confident in my vet so will wait and see what he suggests first.

On the odd days he does sit in the wet what is the best thing to clean him with? Are baby wipes ok?

Santa gave me so excellent info re the piriton which I sent to my vet last week, unfortunately he was on holiday, hence why I am waiting for his call back today.

The vet was confident there was no infection. In fact when he last saw Bluebell apart from the noise I think the vet felt I was worrying for nothing, its hard to explain but I guess when you spend so much time with them you get to know when they are just not thereselves. He recently went into boarding whilst I was on Honeymoon and they kept an extra close eye on him and didn't think there was much of a problem either.

He suffered last year and was seen by a different vet who was of a similar opinion but this year it just seems 10 times worse.

I am lucky we live so close to Langford but I am confident in my vet so will wait and see what he suggests first.

On the odd days he does sit in the wet what is the best thing to clean him with? Are baby wipes ok?

Yes of course they are - but try and choose the chemical free natural ones for sensitive skin if you can. Alternatively you can use a damp flannel.

This year has been unusual for heat and dry and pollen - my OH is a mild asthmatic but rarely suffers and even keeps his hayfever under control. This year is the worst I have ever seen him suffer in the 9 years we have been together despite all the meds and steroids! From a rabbit point of view - Poppy's eyes have been far more weepy than usual and our vet is convinced this is also purely allergy related - her conjunctivas are both red and inflammed - again we feel it is this exceptional weather.
I hope your vet can help with the anti-histamine - sounds like it's going to be worth a trial. Good luck x

Thank you. If it helps even a little bit it will be something. Sorry to hear your OH is suffering, I think there are lots of people who will be glad when pollen season comes to an end.

Aww he's a big boy, I worry about him but I worry about Poppy's eyes more. I too am thinking of broaching the anti-histamine subject when we pop her back for her VHD jab in a few weeks. I too am wondering if they will relieve this eye inflammation a bit? I don't obviously know if they are appropriate for our allergy case here. I hope Blue feels better soon x

I'll let you know how we get on. There is so many different opinions on anti-histimines in buns it'll be interesting to see how we get on. Fingers crossed.

I wonder whether a deionizer in his room might help to get rid of some of the pollen?
This heat & drought is bad for both pollen counts & too hot for buns to be active.

I don't know whether it has any bearing, but my bun has been breathing so rapidly to lose heat, that he dried out his upper airways & started dry sneezing, as well as dehydrating, until my vet shaved some fur from his tummy. (He's got a normal coat.) I'm looking for something very simple to ease the situation, while you get some answers.

I wonder whether a deionizer in his room might help to get rid of some of the pollen?

Unfortunately he's an outdoor bun and I'm not keen on bringing him in as his wifebun loves it outside and would become very stressed if she came indoors and obviously I don't want to split them as she is his support network.

until my vet shaved some fur from his tummy. (He's got a normal coat.)

I wonder whether this might be worth a try tho.

The vet has agreed to the piriton and suggested 1ml daily to see how we get on.

Unfortunately he's an outdoor bun and I'm not keen on bringing him in as his wifebun loves it outside and would become very stressed if she came indoors and obviously I don't want to split them as she is his support network.

I wonder whether this might be worth a try tho.

The vet has agreed to the piriton and suggested 1ml daily to see how we get on.

No way should you split your buns, I didn't know they were outdoor buns. Although mine is a house bun he'd go crackers without his supervised time outside where he does his bunny things like digging, & territory marking. :)

I posted about his fur shave in case it would help. I just thought that if he doesn't breath so fast if he's getting hot, he won't breath in so much pollen either.
I'm going to post some photos in the next few days - I'll take one of Thumper's tummy so you can see his hair cut - it's quite a small area.

Good luck - hope it helps. It does stay in the system for quite a short time; did he talk about giving it as one dose daily or splitting it into two doses? The FHB reference to its use says twice daily too and that's what I did :)

I agree with prettylupin that it sounds like there's more than an allergy going on here if he's getting a wet bottom

Its not constant or really wet, more of a trickle stain, only seems to of happened once. I don't think its incontenance, more so that on his really bad days the sneezing takes it out of him he either can't be bothered to move around as much so is sitting in it, or he doesn't have enough energy to clean properly. Thanks to the low pollen count at the mo I would say he is pretty much his normal self. Hence why the vet is sure there is nothing more serious going on here. Don't worry I am keeping a super close eye on him and will take him straight back to the vets if it continues.

I've posted a photo of Thumper's tummy fur cut to help keep him cool on
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=237886
It starts just below the liver. His coat is so thick that when I'm not holding it back, only a small area is bald. His resps were about 150 /min with the heat, & he was both dehydrating body fluids, & airways, so he was dry sneezing. All cam under control with this simple measure.
I'm not saying that this is the only problem, just looking for a simple way to get some partial relief & save his hocks.

Back