• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

homechecks what to expect?

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
Ok so i cant give Misty up :( hes my little boy and i love him to much to rehome him.

anyways i emailed my local rescue about a beautiful little girl they've just got in age guessed at around 2 years old, they've emailed me back saying shes still available and that they would like to homecheck which i stated in my first email wouldnt be a problem :) they've also offered to bring her across so she can meet misty and we can see how their first meeting goes.

she wont be available for about 8 weeks though as she did give birth to 2 babies in the rescue but this will give me time to upgrade my houseing as i would like to buy a dog kennel with large run or another happy hutch but with larger run as they both have more room to exercise when im not there :)

what should i expect from the homecheck?

Im looking into adopting Lady the little Agouti beauty from this rescue :love:

http://www.nrsarescue.org/rabbits1.html

:love::love::love::love::love::love: awww im really happy you are keeping him :love::love::love::love:

ive only had one homecheck but it was just to make sure my housing was up to thier standards, my current bun was happy and healthy, what food i fed etc..

nothing to be worried about hun :D:D:D

Sorry no help on the homecheck BUT I love Lady :love: Squeeeeeee

I noticed her ages ago and she's so beautiful. You'll be very lucky to get her. Good luck and can't wait for you to get her home. :wave:

:love::love: she's gorgeous!!!

When I had my homecheck they came round and just had a quick look round to make sure the buns would be safe and have enough room and obviously make sure I wasn't a hoarder. Then we just sat and chatted for 10 mins or so about how i took care of Pye and the like. Was sooooooooo paranoid about it all but when it happened it was nice and relaxed and they didn't get the white gloves out or anything!!!

If you look on my website (link in my sig) it explains what my branch of the RSPCA look for at a rabbit home visit (size will vary rescue to rescue).

Generally though, its just an informal chat. Its not an inspection or anything. ust meeting you, your bunny, seeing if he looks visually healthy, talk about your routine, any concerns you have, etc.

I find that I guage more from talking to the person than from seeing their accommodation to be honest. I go a lot on gut feeling. Be open to change and just be friendly and yourself :)

Get your accommodation sorted before the homecheck, make sure it complies with their requirements, if you don't know these ask.

my current hutch already complies with the requirements i think she'd want to do teh home check within teh next couple of weeks though and i cant buy the new housing until i get my first pay from my new job which will be about 4 weeks time so may mention in the homecheck my plan and invite her back if she wants when the new housing is in place so she can see she'll get bigger then the current hutch/run combo thing i have which is 6ftx2ftx4ft.

The garden is also rabbit proof and is safe for them to run free range which she can see when she here to but also have a large run stored away which can also be used so im pretty organised.

Im scared but it all sounds pretty straight forward :oops:

Im scared but it all sounds pretty straight forward :oops:

i remember the look on Lou's face the first time i went to Hopper Haven and said i had Alvin in a dog crate, i quickly added it had a run attached as well. but that fear of failing a house check is awful. i couldnt bear to fail because that would mean in a rescues eyes Alvin was not being looked after properly. but i passed whoooop and i think ive proved im an ok bunny mummy and you will too without a doubt :wave::wave::wave:

Iv'e had a few as was looking for a choc dutch and it was a case of when one came in so they homechecked me prior so I wouldn't have to wait ages if they got come through.

All were neasr enough exactly the same, checked my accomodation and then ha about a 10min chat of my care, routine etc.
Because I had spoken mostly on the phone about where they live and routine they had a good idea before and had sent pics of accom so wqas just checking it was all how I said and they saw.

One of my homecheckers bought mint for mine as she was comeing lunchtime so said to the lady who ran it I bought get some cakes as she was doing it on her lunchtime hour from work.

When the person calls to book the homevisit explain the housing situation because chances are they will want to see the finished set up. Tht way the home visitor at least gets a choice to wait until after you have got the finished set up sorted/ If I did a home visit and only found out when I got there that that set up was not the right one I would consider that a wasted visit and would be quite annoyed because I would have to go back and see the real set up. That may just be me personally though.

When the person calls to book the homevisit explain the housing situation because chances are they will want to see the finished set up. Tht way the home visitor at least gets a choice to wait until after you have got the finished set up sorted/ If I did a home visit and only found out when I got there that that set up was not the right one I would consider that a wasted visit and would be quite annoyed because I would have to go back and see the real set up. That may just be me personally though.

that does make sense hun i will mention it to her lady wont be available for 8 weeks anyway so hoprfully the homechecker wont mind waiting 4 weeks until a new setup has been bought and assembled :)

that does make sense hun i will mention it to her lady wont be available for 8 weeks anyway so hoprfully the homechecker wont mind waiting 4 weeks until a new setup has been bought and assembled :)

I sure would hope that would be fine. Would be crazy if she had a problem with that. Good luck :)

I agree with this. Its definately worth checking they are happy with the planned set up before getting it although it sounds great

I tend to get a bit carried away when I homecheck for rabbits and end up telling them all about the forum, where to buy baled hay locally, what home made toys are good etc etc :oops:

It really should be an informal chat, as Sky-O said I tend to go off gut instinct as much as anything. It is also designed for the potential adopter to ask any questions they may have thought of

Awww i knew you'd cave :lol: congrats - you and Misty and Lady will be so happy together :D :D

Every rescue varies so def phone them and ask exactly what their requirements are especially re: accommodation.

When I have homechecks they were looking for size of accommodation, knowledge of rabbit care (they asked me about jabs, diet etc) and absence of packs of ravening dogs. good luck :wave:

the lady from the rescue seems quite impressed so far :) im going to go see lady (rabbit) in the next week when i know my days off and if i deffinatly want her (which i know i will) she will be reserved for me and il recieve the homecheck once my new setup has arrived and assembled :) shes also offered to bond Misty and Lady for me which i think il have done because i just stress when i do it myself lol

Back