• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blind bunny and ramp...

katiebob

Warren Scout
How would a blind bunny cope with a ramp? we have a hutch and run combo with a ramp to the first storey.

I have seen a bunny in a shelter who is blind and just wondered how she might cope with that. Also, ive never rescued a bun before so there any questions I should be asking the shelter....

Thanks in advance,

katie :D

Absolutely fine once she understood what it was and where it was.

She would probably go up it fine, but coming down may be a problem because it would feel more disorientating. You can entice her up and down with food.

I'm pretty sure my Candyfloss is nearly completely blind and she used to shoot up and down the ramps no problem.

It took one of our blind bunnies nearly 4 months to master the ramp, others go straight up and down, so I guess it depends on the bunny

Think it wil depend on the bunny really. My bunny won't tend to do anything that involves ramps/ steps at all. Is there any way the ramp could be taken out if she doesn't get along with it?

It will depend on the bun.
If they're used to using a ramp, and always have then they would probably cope fine, although I'd be inclined to use a ramp that had sides on just in case they mis-judge their feet!
The main thing with a blind animal is to try and keep its environment unchanged as much as possible, so once they've come home and worked out where everything is, resist any urge to re-arrange!

Back