• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Small hutches and trading standards

weeble

Just one of my random wonderings as I was cleaning out litter trays but if someone bought a 4ft hutch to keep a bunny in and then found out the minimum size requirements would they be able to return it as 'not fit for purpose' ??

Don't think so though because it's not actually law to have a 6 foot hutch, it's just a guideline set by an animal charity and technically you could keep a rabbit in a 4 foot hutch so even though it's not right for the rabbit, you can actually use it for the advertised purpose - unfortunately.

I was in The Range in Bolton the other day. I couldn't believe the size of hutches they were selling - not just the overall size, but the lack of head room. I can't remember if they were signed up as rabbit hutches or just hutches, but even for a guinea pig they were pretty small.

If it was so small that it couldn't possibly meet the requirements of the Animal Welfare Act then you might have a case, but the act doesn't set any minimum sizes.

I emailed pictures of those tiny shoe boxes at the range to the RWF for their campaign and they are writing to them

Back