• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Bunny relationship advice!

natandfluffs

Alpha Buck
Any ideas about what I can try with Bubbles and Whisper?

Wisp has been very humpy for about 6 months now which sometimes seems to get Bubs down. They're not as devoted to each other as Pippin and Merry but do spend some time snuggling together. Most of the affection tends to come from Bubbles.

Bubs developed an obstruction and had surgery on Friday. Its been hard to get him eating but he has gradually built up and yesterday was eating normally. I was woken up this morning to lots of banging and Dave found them 'face to face fighting' I watched for a while and basically she is nipping him under the chin and provoking him to box, and then chasing him. This is what she used to do to her sister when they all lived together.

How much should I worry generally? At present the effect is that Bubbles is terrified and won't eat again. I've just heard another bout and put Wisp temporarily in the bathroom. For today I'll divide the pen so they can still see each other but so Bubs can hopefully chill out a bit.

Any ideas? I'm really feeling for Bubbles but I don't know what I'll do if this goes on long term.

she sounds like a right bully :(:(:( i dont think id keep them together if it was me, id hate to come home and find one with a face hanging off :(

hope you can find a way to make them friends, if not do you have a back up plan??

I think side by side for now might be the way to go. I agree with Donna that if a full on boxing fight has already ensued and is enough to stop your poorly post-op bun from eating again there is a real risk of serious injury to both rabbits and I personally would not take that risk either.

I supsect what has happened is that Bubbles being poorly has caused some upset between the two and unbalanced their relationship. Whisper is either rejecting him because he is ill or taking the opportunity to establish her dominance - whatever the cause it sounds to me like they need to rebonded in neutral territory - however, at this present time Bubbles does not sound well enough for any more stress and therefore I would keep them side by side until he is well enough to attempt this. Side by side might help maintain some sort of a bond and give him some comfort having his partner bun around whilst he recovers, even though the relationship is definitely unbalanced at the mo. Just make sure no nipping can occur through any boundary wire.

ETA out of interest did Whisper go with Bubbles to the vet and stay with him whilst he had his surgery? If not, this could be when the bond broke down.

Yeah I'm thinking a full re-bond will be the way to go (not looking forward to it though!... but I just need to take it day by day for now while Bubbles gets stronger. tbh I think Wisp is actually a bit of a wimp as she never picks on anyone when she thinks she'll get a full fight back. Bubs will box back and then cower so as to avoid the fight, like Pippin used to. So then she'll try to provoke him again. Hubby's attitude is that she's always been a bit horrible, though I'm fairly sure she has reasons. They did go to the vet together so I assume its because he's ill that she's being particularly mean.

Its the what I'll do if I can't get them to make friends that worries me the most... I really can't take on any more to even things up. Mr Fluff is single, but I don't think its fair to bond him at 13 especially when he doesn't like it if I smell of another bun. I could try Bubs in with the other two, but he fought with Merry when they were a four so it may not work much better. All I can think of is rehoming one and taking on a new friend for the other. But I really really don't want to do that either :(

Yeah I'm thinking a full re-bond will be the way to go (not looking forward to it though!... but I just need to take it day by day for now while Bubbles gets stronger. tbh I think Wisp is actually a bit of a wimp as she never picks on anyone when she thinks she'll get a full fight back. Bubs will box back and then cower so as to avoid the fight, like Pippin used to. So then she'll try to provoke him again. Hubby's attitude is that she's always been a bit horrible, though I'm fairly sure she has reasons. They did go to the vet together so I assume its because he's ill that she's being particularly mean.

Its the what I'll do if I can't get them to make friends that worries me the most... I really can't take on any more to even things up. Mr Fluff is single, but I don't think its fair to bond him at 13 especially when he doesn't like it if I smell of another bun. I could try Bubs in with the other two, but he fought with Merry when they were a four so it may not work much better. All I can think of is rehoming one and taking on a new friend for the other. But I really really don't want to do that either :(

Don't worry about that now. You can cross that bridge IF you come to it. For now just get Bubbles better and when he is strong and well try rebonding on totally neutral territory as if you were doing a normal bonding session for two strangers and see how it goes.

Don't worry about that now. You can cross that bridge IF you come to it. For now just get Bubbles better and when he is strong and well try rebonding on totally neutral territory as if you were doing a normal bonding session for two strangers and see how it goes.

Good point. Think I'm panicking a bit!! Bubbles has eaten some of his spring greens just now. Phew!

Back