• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vets this week or not?

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Ok so I can slowley see myself getting very attached to Cookie and am worried she may not pass the health check at the vets, which we were planning on doing in a week or two so she could have her VHD jab at the same time... But we are getting attached to her and are thinking it may be a good idea to get her checked out this week and then we can stop worrying, then get her booked in a week or so later for her jab.
She does not seem like a very stressy bunny, we picked her up, cleaned her bum and she ate straight after and is quite happy, so I think she would be ok with it and not find it too stressful.

I have this with Tulip, I am so worried she cant be vaccinated for VHD as she is still too ill, so I can guess how you want to get it done asap, but maybe its best to just wait as it wont get done any sooner, and I always worry when Tulip goes to the vet that a bun with VHD has just been there:cry:

I have this with Tulip, I am so worried she cant be vaccinated for VHD as she is still too ill, so I can guess how you want to get it done asap, but maybe its best to just wait as it wont get done any sooner, and I always worry when Tulip goes to the vet that a bun with VHD has just been there:cry:

I guess that is a concern but equally the vaccine is not active straight away so by going there to get the vaccine they could get infected? :?

Yes:( It is just my worry, but by going more often the risk to exposure is increased. But like I said it is just my worry, I am just finding it hard having a bun that cant be vaccinated against VHD:(

Maybe your vet could advise:)

I think I will call tomorrow and annoy them with lots of questions :lol:
What is wrong with your bun?

Are cookie and Jim bonded now?? Have i missed something.

Sorry cant help with the VHD question - im just being nosey!

i personally wouldnt give a VHD jab to anybun who has just had major surgery for atleast a month. i know its a risk but its one i would take.

Holly was panacured for a month before i took her for her jab and that with the weather really seemed to knock her about for 3 weeks after so if shed just had her womb removed who knows what reaction she could of had to the vaccine.

i really hate the VHD jab, can you tell :oops:

Like Donna I would not want to give any vaccination within a minimum of two weeks of any surgery, and would be inclined to wait up to 4 as well, simply so as not to overload the immune system. I might do it sooner with a male, but never less than 2 weeks. You also have to take into account the strain on her immune system with coming to a new home as well as her spay. VHD vaccinations are important but no one really knows the risks and incidents reported are rare in comparison to Myxi. We waited 3 weeks after Poppy arrived before vaccinating her, it's just too much stress, and she hadn't been spayed recently either.

Ok so maybe it would be best to get her health checked this week then wait another two weeks after that to get her vaccinated?

Nope they are not bonded yet but we can see us getting attached to her so want to get her health checked so we know if we can keep her.

I personally wouldn't stress her out with too many trips to the vet, but that's just me. Sorry I don't understand :oops: why does she need to be vet checked to know if you can keep her? Surely she has settled in already?

Ok so maybe it would be best to get her health checked this week then wait another two weeks after that to get her vaccinated?

Nope they are not bonded yet but we can see us getting attached to her so want to get her health checked so we know if we can keep her.

did she not have a health check before the spay? does she have to go back for a check or was it a while ago she was done???

i very much doubt she will have any need to be checked if shes already been signed off by the vet who did the spay :wave:

or does she have health issues the rescue has warned you about that need to be checked? sorry hun im feeling dense today :oops::oops:

My husband wants our vets to sign her off as a healthy bun before we commit ourselves to keeping her, if she has got anything seriously wrong or something which could be long term then we will need to find her another home.
So we need to check her teeth etc.

Back