• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question for rescues and those who homecheck

weeble

I did two homechecks this morning - the first one was great, the second one didnt go so well.

It was for a dog and although the garden was secure the fence to one side was only about 3ft high which is lower than our requirements. I politely pointed this out and made some easy to do and inexpensive suggestions to solve the problem in the hope that we could continue

I left feeling like I had really upset the person in question

I am just wondering what experiences other people have had and how you deal with them

i always find it difficult to tell anyone that the set up isnt suitable . i always try to make suggestions to improve it and i would say over half the people do take it well and are happy to oblige .. but sometimes people do take offense and this makes me feel bad even though i know im right :? :(

I feel for you. Its very hard sometimes doing what we do.

I find that reiterating that (in appropriate situations) its not a reflection on them, just some things that have happened previously, so we have to make sure fences are high enough to make sure they don't happen again.

Reiterate you are just a volunteer and doing what you are told to do. Sometimes playing the helpless card can work well :lol:

Also, if you can and its appropriate smile and stuff because its very hard to get angry at someone who is smiling. My Supervisor always says to refer anyone angry back to her.

The one I find can work the best is to say something like 'home checks can be very stressful, but remember, we want to work with you because we both want what is best for the animal'. That stops and makes people think because you're not trying to work against them, you're just trying to do what is best for the animal. If they aren't then that's not a home you want an animal to go to anyway.

At the end of the day, you are representing the animal, so making the person angry doesn't matter, just shows its best not to adopt to them.

Don't worry about it. You have to do what is right for the animal. We usually find out if people are suitable on the phone and ask lots of questions when they come round to save the embarrassing home check fails. Someone came round today and wanted hens but admitted that he had 3 fox attacks so unless he rectifies the situation then he isn't going to get any hens and we will save ourselves the hassle of a home check in the first place!:evil:

I bent the rules on a home check a couple of years ago and it was such a huge mistake. The poor bunny ended up coming back and he had been completely neglected.:cry: Sometimes homes just aren't right and people need to know that they aren't right and for what reason. Going to a pet shop and walking out with an animal is easy but people that have bothered to go to a rescue centre and are ok at having a home check are usually willing to make sure their home is ok for an animal and will make the necessary changes.

Some of my home checkers are very strict and I love them for it as I can be assured that our animals are going to the best places.:)

Ive been pretty lucky with my homechecks, ive made some suggestions but bascially its not really up to me i just gather the information and report back to the rescue its for them to decide how they check the alterations have been done and whether they are happy to rehome. Unless of course I thought the person or the place was completely unsuitable.

Thanks guys I think I just wanted some moral support - which is always guaranteed on RU :D

I did explain that if it could be fixed she would be very suitable and that I was just doing as I was told etc. I think I just dont like upsetting people and have to remind myself its for the animals own good

Back