• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

breathing funny

Sherpa

Warren Scout
ok, so i know im probably being completley paranoid but Sherpa is breathing funny.
he isnt distressed or hot as his cage is constantly in the shade now but iv just been watching him and he is breathing quite deeply-i wouldnt go far as saying it was laboured. it just seems that when he breathes his whole body moves with the breath as if he needs his whole body to breathe-i hope that makes sense!

i compared it to my other bunnies, who are just breathing normally :? the usual, chest moves when breathes, but even then you can hardly see it.

He is still drinking, pooing etc. he has only eaten a little today, but he is proper old fashioned and normally only eats at dawk and dusk :roll:

any ideas? i know bad breathing in cats and dogs isnt a fab sign, but im hoping im just being paranoid

hmmm sorry cant really help, I think their breathing would only change if they are hot or ill :?
I think if you concerned all you can do is pop her to the vets for a check up..

Im not really experienced so hope someone else can help you.

i would go to the vets.. it could be the lungs or the heart or nothing at all but a vet should check it out

loads of vibes xxxx

my pearl developed wrong breathing July last year, she was panting, would snort and was pointing her nose into to the air :cry:

she had an enlarged heart and needed a lot of medication to keep her heart from failing.

i really hope its not anything serious

i will do, its not as bad as last night, but he is definately making more of effort than the other rabbits. and he ran up to the food bowl today and was scoffing it down....he hasnt done this for about 4 months:?

well just before i left i had convinced myself i was being crazy and put him back (he seemed to be breathing fine)
i asked the vets about it at work and they were a bit vague!
now iv got home and am definately convinced that he is puffing. although he managed to eat a whole bowl of soaked food this morning (he has teeth issues too)
i am at college all day tomorrow, so will have to take him to vet thursday.
apart from the puffing he seems ok, he did have some tiny tiny poo's in his run, but he is a bit sporadic in poo's, depends on how much he is eating.

Back