• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits on steroids- specifically for breathing problems, but any experiences welcome

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Badger has now been on Steroids since the 1st June this year. He has deteriorate recently but I'm so hoping this is down to the rubbish humid weather. He's not gone down far though, just enough for me to notice that he's not 100%, I'd still put him at a 9 out of 10, as opposed to a 10 out of 10.

I'm just wondering if you had a rabbit on steroids, how long did the steroids help the bunny?

This is our last option for Badger (although there is, I believe, room for a dose increase if/when necessary), so when this doesn't work its Badger bye bye :cry: so was just wondering if he could be on them long long term, or it may only be short term, etc.

Thanks in advance.

my rosie was on steroid injections along with daily baytril twice a day, for other reasons not breathing, but she had, had them since september last year, until i recently decided i had to let her go

she had ups and downs on them, but was doing soo well, until in her last week, i just knew, she couldn't go on as she was :cry:

but as i say, her's where not for breathing related problems

My rabbit Snowy had steriod injections and daily Baytril injections for chronic breathing problems. Then later he had penicillin injections and steroids. The steroids really were a last resort as was the penicillin. For Snowy it wasn't a long term fix he died around 4 months after beginning the steroids.

Please don't be disheartened by this response, Snowy was very sick and had really bad teeth problems along with breathing problems. The steroids gave him 4 happy months that we wouldn't have had otherwise. :love: Even until the day before he died the steroid injections helped take the swelling down from his nose.

Thank you Lea. I'm so sorry for what Snowy went through. I do really appreciate your input though, so thank you.

I don't think this will help you but I'll mention it anyway just in case...

Mischa was on steroids when he had head tilt but only for about 2 weeks and then vet said there wasn't any point in continuing. He's still with us.

Is there a possibility that Badger could benefit from diuretics or a bronchodilator? Does he have associated heart issues or is it a chronic pneumonia or something? Is he on antibiotics as well alongside the steroids.... in case of infection? Sorry I don't know much about his breathing problems and what they stem from.

Sorry to hear he is not a 10/10... hope you can get him back up there. I'm sure the weather isn't helping. Is it lower or upper respiratory? Perhaps a humidifier would help if it was upper? or a nebuliser? Obviously not for a lower RTI.
Sorry can't be of much help but hope your special little man feels better soon. x

p.s my understanding of steroid use, in humans only which is of little help here, is that the longer the use the increased onset of associated side effects. Is it possible that these are behind his sudden downturn? Could he have them on and off perhaps in courses rather than continuously? I'm just throwing ideas out here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply PL.

Is there a possibility that Badger could benefit from diuretics or a bronchodilator? He's on Corvental, which I believe is a bronchodilator? Does he have associated heart issues or is it a chronic pneumonia or something?He has larygeal issues. We are unsure what, whether its some sort of genetic deformity- which it may be because his cousin seems to be showing similar signs, it may be a slack soft pallet or some sort of paralysis Is he on antibiotics as well alongside the steroids.... in case of infection? Yes, he remains on continously Zithromax. We did try to do it as a course effect just before he started on steroids but without the zithromax he plummeted over the course of a week and the only thing that turned him round was oxygen therapy and then the steroids- it was then that he started them.Sorry I don't know much about his breathing problems and what they stem from.

Sorry to hear he is not a 10/10... hope you can get him back up there. I'm sure the weather isn't helping. Is it lower or upper respiratory? laryngeal issues causing LR issues Perhaps a humidifier would help if it was upper? definitely not- humid is not good or a nebuliser? This also doesn't seem to help- it did in the early days, but not anymore. It used to get rid of his cough, but, to be fair, I have not heard him cough since he started the steroids Obviously not for a lower RTI.
Sorry can't be of much help but hope your special little man feels better soon. x

p.s my understanding of steroid use, in humans only which is of little help here, is that the longer the use the increased onset of associated side effects. Is it possible that these are behind his sudden downturn? I don't know. I have not seen any obvious side effects, just recently he has started to rock while he breaths again, which is what he was doing prior to going on the steroids- although he is not rocking as bad as he was/ Could he have them on and off perhaps in courses rather than continuously? The steroids very clearly have a positive effect. He rocks when he is due his steroids but after having had them, he rocks less. I would be very reluctant to remove him from them because of how severely ill he was before being put on them. I would suspect it could kill him, to be honest. I'm just throwing ideas out here.

Donna- I really, really don't want to read Lionel's story because I know that heart breaking ending and also the timescale. The thought of that happening to Badger actually breaks my heart. It actually physically hurts. but thank you, you're right, it is something I should read.

i dont blame you hun :cry::cry:

i like to keep it in my suscribed threads because
1. i loved lionel so much even without meeting him and always had a dream of taking him to work in my pocket :oops::oops: and
2. the medication used by very excellent vets will be a great reference for me should i ever come into contact with phemumonia (sp)

my vet is very anti steriods because the immune system become very comprimised and shes worried about the development of abcesses, it seems to be a drug to use longterm when theres no other options available but is also good for a quick fix on other illnesses.

loads of vibes for Badger xxxxxxx

has your vet tried bisolvon? its supposed to be really good for opening the airways, we had pearl on it to help her get air in :wave::wave:

Badger did have Bisolvon in the early days but its an anti mucolytic, and he has no mucous anyway, so it seems a bit pointless because there is nothing for the Bisolvon to work on.

That's where we are with Badger unfortunately
a drug to use longterm when theres no other options available

Once this stops working, there are no more options, sadly.

That all makes sense. I didn't know Badger's ongoing medical and drug history - sounds like you are doing everything you can Sky-O. Yes I agree completely, as it is laryngeal in origin then humidity will only make it worse and harder for him to breathe.

From your description of how he responds to his steroids and how his symptoms worsen before he is due them I too would not want to stop them at all. In fact I would be considering perhaps a slightly higher dose if your vet agreed if there comes a point that the rocking and breathing difficulties begin to worsen far before his dose is due. But obviously keeping the dose to the minimum necessary is crucial for his immune system. A real balancing act. Poor Badger and poor you. I think you are doing wonderfully under the circumstances. :)

He has a checkup next week so I will discuss a dose increase with her then. She did mention when he was prescribed them that 2mg might be feasible. I wonder about one in the morning, one in the evening, or something. Hopefully she can give us an idea.

I just so don't want to lose him. I cried at him the other day and he looked at me like I was a crazy lady.

He has a checkup next week so I will discuss a dose increase with her then. She did mention when he was prescribed them that 2mg might be feasible. I wonder about one in the morning, one in the evening, or something. Hopefully she can give us an idea.

I just so don't want to lose him. I cried at him the other day and he looked at me like I was a crazy lady.

Aww :cry: He knows you love him to bits i'm sure. I cry at Nino sometimes... he just thinks i'm a bit crazy too but he knows I love him. That's why Badger comes running when you call him - he loves you just as much in his own way. :D

I too was thinking splitting his dose or doing two doses a day but wasn't sure if this was appropriate - probably depends on whether it is a long-acting corticosteroid or not. Hope your vet can help and answer all your questions. Sounds like she is really open to trying different things and that he has very good vet care. Let them do the medical worrying for you. :)

I'm going to take lots of Badger pics today :D Just decided that.

I don't know what kind of steroid it is. Its called Prednicare. His worst time of day is dawn but he is still so active and so bl**dy loud that its not taking too much of a toll on him. He was having it in the morning, but then he was at his most vulnerable at his worst time, so I've shift it back in the day so he has at about 7pm which means it should be working well at dawn, still.

I'm going to take lots of Badger pics today :D Just decided that.

I don't know what kind of steroid it is. Its called Prednicare. His worst time of day is dawn but he is still so active and so bl**dy loud that its not taking too much of a toll on him. He was having it in the morning, but then he was at his most vulnerable at his worst time, so I've shift it back in the day so he has at about 7pm which means it should be working well at dawn, still.

Sounds like prednisolone. Whether or not that particular brand one is long acting I don't know. Standard prednisolone isn't as far as i'm aware but who knows what prednicare is? :?

Looking forward to seeing LOTS of pics of lovely Badger :D Perhaps you should get some of you and Badger together - I know that when Nino goes these will be the ones I treasure the most. x

yaaaay photo shoot :love::love::love::love:

i have an amazing picture of pearl that i took while she was poorly, i just kept taking them so i had the perfect memory shot and i got it :D

Back