• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just back from the vets- they think it could be pasturella.

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Just got back from the vets and they think that this eye infection is either conjunctivitis or pasturella. If it doesn't clear up, it's more likely to be infectious. Also patch has been sneezing, as has lily, lucy and ama, so i think it may have spread. They have been put on exocin and baytril. I managed to get a prescription which hopefully will work out cheaper than the vets costs. I currently have 7 bunnys with seemingly the same problem. I hope it's not pasturella. I have another 3 girls to get in for medicines, but the vet said i can use the treatment between them all as it's infectious.

I was wondering about neutering ama, lily and lucy- will this be possible if they turn out to have pasturella? Oh the joys of medicating seven buns. I can't decide if i ought to get insurance now for the ones that don't have it as it could turn out to be extremely expensive and i think that pasturella would be classed as one condition if the others developed it, so it may work out at me spending £50 instead of £1000+ per year if i get the life time cover.

Any thoughts on that- do you think they would accept my healthy buns for insurance or would they be ruled out since i have pasturella buns on the premises? Currently healthy are paws, rose, athena, ava, with no pre-existing conditions at all. So that would be £36 a month approx to cover them incase ontop of my routine vet bills. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ambience xx

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this, I hope it is not serious.
I could be wrong but I would imagine that any insurance company would be unlikely to cover for anything that they may be showing symptoms of.

Sorry to hear this, I hope it is not serious.
I could be wrong but I would imagine that any insurance company would be unlikely to cover for anything that they may be showing symptoms of.

Thanks Rachy,

Yes that's the case, i'd only be able to insure four of my buns would are not showing symptoms.

My vet charged me for two prescriptions. Does anyone know any vets who don't charge for prescriptions, or do most now?

Ambience x

Back