• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore hocks

Veronica

Mama Doe
I've noticed today that Snowy has red, bumpy sore hocks (They've not been bleeding or anything, so I think I've caught it in its very early stages). They are not as bad as some hocks I've seen pictured on here, and they don't seem to cause him any problems, but to me they seem like they must be uncomfortable for him. :(

I've changed his living area to completely bedded hay and towels. Is there anything else I can do for him? Is there any thing I can put on his hocks to help them? I'm going to get him to the vets tomorrow.

Help appreciated, thank you.

You want something pliable so their nails dig in but soft so that it doesn't rub away at the fur. I find duvets or vetbed with towels underneath and a sheet on top to be the best. Actually since covering my horrid rough carpet with softer rugs their hock problem has diminished so in my case removing the abrasive carpet did the job.

Firstly, make sure the nails are very well trimmed, as far as they'll go. Keep a thick layer of bedding in the hutch, and do so in the run if possible.

I'm just having this problem with Oscar. They're in a kennel with run and we think it's the concrete flooring that has done it in the run area, also they have one of their shelves carpeted.
I've put layers of blankets down and a fleece blanket to finish, I also padded up areas he is more likely to stand ie near water bottle, hay rack.
I tried hay but discovered they're letter training went totally out the window so I reverted to the fleece's as poor hygiene also is not good.
Oscars too is not broke or bleeding so I have put nothing on them (to help keep them dry), if the skin becomes soft it may break. Change litter trays daily to avaoid infections.

Oh went to vet and he had a jab of anti biotic with anti inflammatory.

ETA First thing I did was to check nails, get them trimmed if needed by the vet....to aid weight on the foot evenly.

Back