• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating megazorb & something else

paulinejoe

Mama Doe
Eating megazorb - i'm just down to my last bit of my first ever bag of megazorb, which has been brilliant and was about to order some more this friday (payday :D:lol:) when i found Joejoe tucking into the mezazorb, and I don't mean nibbling i mean full on wolfing it down like a bowl of nuggets :? I don't know how long he's been doing it and he seems ok but now i don't know what to do.

They used to be on wood pellet cat litter but it cost a fortune and i was so pleased with the megazorb. I've nothing else in stock so i've covered it over with straw to discourage him, not that that will probably be much use.

The "something else" bit, is last night about 11.30 i heard my fiance rustling about in the fridge so snuck up on him to see what he was eating and he turned round looking guilty with something stuffed up his T-shirt - i pulled it up and it was a bunch of spring greens!!! Turns out every night for weeks, when he takes the rubbish out before bed he's been sneaking the buns some extra veg and giving them noserubs :lol: I thought it'd been going down fast lol. This is the bloke who said he didn't like rabbits, he's being converted over to the rabbitside hahaha :lol:

Do you have a thick layer of hay over the megazorb? I'd be concerned if mine we're eating it tbh!

Yes, well i've put a very thick layer of straw over it then their usual hay at one end over the straw. I don't know what's up with Joejoe, he eats everything he shouldn't (a brush that nearly killed him and resulted in a £2,000 vets bill, the rubber trim from the doormat when he used to be indoors, carpets, walls, skirting boards, cables the list goes on...) i buy the best food i can for them both yet he chooses to eat the flipping litter :shock:

i think i'm going to have to go back to the wood pellets which is such a pity as megazorb was much cosier for them, not to mention more economical for me - a £7 bag has lasted 2 months as opposed to £30 a month for the cat litter, mind you I have recently got them using 2 litter trays as opposed to lining the whole hutch so I might only need one of the big bags of cat litter, which is still double the megazorb but at least I know they don't eat it so no risk of blockages.

:lol::lol::lol: about OH!

I used to use carefresh - which i think is similar to megazorb.....and Indiana also started eating it! :shock::roll:

I eventually used Aubiose ( I didnt have a megazorb supplier to try) - its hemp based....owkrs really well....keeps them dry underfoot and the wee goes underneath in a patch.....you could maybe try this? ive noticed indiana try & eat some - but she loses interest - its like little sticks.Its cheap & lasts for ages....also used as horse bedding like megazorb.....about £7/£8 a big bag....:p

Yes, well i've put a very thick layer of straw over it then their usual hay at one end over the straw. I don't know what's up with Joejoe, he eats everything he shouldn't (a brush that nearly killed him and resulted in a £2,000 vets bill, the rubber trim from the doormat when he used to be indoors, carpets, walls, skirting boards, cables the list goes on...) i buy the best food i can for them both yet he chooses to eat the flipping litter :shock:

i think i'm going to have to go back to the wood pellets which is such a pity as megazorb was much cosier for them, not to mention more economical for me - a £7 bag has lasted 2 months as opposed to £30 a month for the cat litter, mind you I have recently got them using 2 litter trays as opposed to lining the whole hutch so I might only need one of the big bags of cat litter, which is still double the megazorb but at least I know they don't eat it so no risk of blockages.

How old is JoeJoe? Is he still relatively young? I just ask because with my three (Nutmeg excluded - she was two when I got her) they've all had 'teenage' years where they chew everything. Like babies putting things in their mouth to explore and then they've grown out of it. Smudge is just about grown out of his chewing patch.

It's weird that he's burrowing through a layer of hay and straw to get to it! It does have a scent to it - reminds me of plain yoghurt - he must like the scent!

The "something else" bit, is last night about 11.30 i heard my fiance rustling about in the fridge so snuck up on him to see what he was eating and he turned round looking guilty with something stuffed up his T-shirt - i pulled it up and it was a bunch of spring greens!!! Turns out every night for weeks, when he takes the rubbish out before bed he's been sneaking the buns some extra veg and giving them noserubs :lol: I thought it'd been going down fast lol. This is the bloke who said he didn't like rabbits, he's being converted over to the rabbitside hahaha :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: How cute!!

How old is JoeJoe? Is he still relatively young? I just ask because with my three (Nutmeg excluded - she was two when I got her) they've all had 'teenage' years where they chew everything. Like babies putting things in their mouth to explore and then they've grown out of it. Smudge is just about grown out of his chewing patch.

It's weird that he's burrowing through a layer of hay and straw to get to it! It does have a scent to it - reminds me of plain yoghurt - he must like the scent!

He's 2 around the end of August, the chewings not so much of an issue now they're outside, although it's meant their nice carpet had to be taken out of their "living room" and he demolished one of those water hyacinth mats within a couple of days so racking my brains for something cosy for them to lie on thats not edible :lol: I was trying to put my finger on what megazorb smelt of and you're right it is yoghurty!!!

Chelle - I shall look into that aubiose stuff, sounds like a good alternative :)

Hope it works!:roll::lol:
Heres us trying to set up a nice cosy area for them & they eat it all!:shock::roll:

Mine just tend to shred the newspaper - lie under it!:roll: and dig in the aubiose abit to snuggle down....funnily enough they seem happier with less stuff!:shock:......:lol::love:

Back