• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA Adoption Help

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
:wave:

So the time is nearly here for me putting the wheels into motion and getting Leo a little lady friend. I've checked my local RSPCA website and this little lady has completely stolen my heart :love::love::love:

Minnie1.JPG

I've just got a question on cage sizes. I'm aiming to put them into a double tier cage which is 4.9ft x 2ft x 2ft (4ft high in total) and then give them daily free range time everyday. I've emailed the lady at the branch and she sent me a very helpful response but mentioned that they require hutches to be ...

We look for accomodation that allows a rabbit to make 3 hops in a row without compromise, to be able to stretch up on their back legs without compromise and to lie out fully width ways.

My other two are in a cage that size and they can do all of the above but once again they don't have a run attached, they just have daily free range.

Does anyone know if the RSPCA make allowances on the run clause in their policy?

She also mentioned that every rabbit needs to have up to date vacs (not a problem) but also to be neutered. All my boys are, however, Blanche is currently waiting for her spay. Since she won't be living with the new bunny (also the new bunny is going to be female), would this be a problem?

I know I should phone the lady who runs the "rabbitery" directly but I hate mithering people on the phone with questions and I know I'll forget to ask about one or the other!

Any help would be much appreciated :)

ETA: Should just mention that the possibility of me getting a hutch with run attached is out of the question due to it being my parents garden. I have already spoke with them at length about it and it is a no go :(

The best thing to do really is to talk to them directly about it all. Every branch has their own policy as to what they will allow etc and what discretion will be given or not. Write all your questions down on a piece of paper and take it with you or when you phone them.

You are likely to have a home check anyway before adoption and so you can discuss this with the homechecker - although it is preferred if accomodation is ready to go at the homecheck. Our RSPCA homechecker didn't know anything about rabbits and what was required so was bowled over by the accomodation we were offering here, but you may get someone more clued up. Our local branch themselves were very strict and specified a minimum hutch size of 6ft x 2ft with an attached run or portable run of minimum 6ft x 4ft which is basically the RWAF guidelines. Like I said it depends branch to branch so you would be best to talk to them directly and be prepared to make any necessary changes if you are serious about adopting from them. :)

ETA: Should just mention that the possibility of me getting a hutch with run attached is out of the question due to it being my parents garden. I have already spoke with them at length about it and it is a no go :(

This wasn't a problem with our branch provided an adequate sized run was being provided in the garden as we were offering an indoor home as a house rabbit. But for a permanent hutch bun they may be more strict - like I said, you need to talk to the RSPCA directly.

I took photos of my home and garden, the indoor cages and of Teasels Hutch and run, I also provided details of my long-suffering vets.

I did not have a run ready for Doodee nor an outdoor hutch but because I was offering a home to a very needy rabbit who deperatly needed one to one to tackle her behaviour in my home they accepted the size of the lounge, the bunny proofing and retreat cage.

Talk to the RSPCA and provide as much info and photos as you can. I even took photos of my fruit garden, apple trees and wild grass meadow to prove I could offer a varied natural diet.:lol:

:wave:

So the time is nearly here for me putting the wheels into motion and getting Leo a little lady friend. I've checked my local RSPCA website and this little lady has completely stolen my heart :love::love::love:

Minnie1.JPG

I've just got a question on cage sizes. I'm aiming to put them into a double tier cage which is 4.9ft x 2ft x 2ft (4ft high in total) and then give them daily free range time everyday. I've emailed the lady at the branch and she sent me a very helpful response but mentioned that they require hutches to be ...

My other two are in a cage that size and they can do all of the above but once again they don't have a run attached, they just have daily free range.

Does anyone know if the RSPCA make allowances on the run clause in their policy?

She also mentioned that every rabbit needs to have up to date vacs (not a problem) but also to be neutered. All my boys are, however, Blanche is currently waiting for her spay. Since she won't be living with the new bunny (also the new bunny is going to be female), would this be a problem?

I know I should phone the lady who runs the "rabbitery" directly but I hate mithering people on the phone with questions and I know I'll forget to ask about one or the other!

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Hi :wave: I have been out homechecking for the rspca all morning!!

I will always take each individual case into account when home checking - ideally I would want the run attached but its not the end of the world if it isnt. It will also depend on the size of the rabbits going into the hutch. The minimum size requirements we would normally say would be 6x2x2 but thats a single tier so a double tier does add some space.

With regards to getting the other rabbit spayed. Are you thinking of bonding them? If so I would get her spayed and left to settle before you try to other wise you could easily have a hormonal battle on your hands

Hi :wave: I have been out homechecking for the rspca all morning!!

I will always take each individual case into account when home checking - ideally I would want the run attached but its not the end of the world if it isnt. It will also depend on the size of the rabbits going into the hutch. The minimum size requirements we would normally say would be 6x2x2 but thats a single tier so a double tier does add some space.

With regards to getting the other rabbit spayed. Are you thinking of bonding them? If so I would get her spayed and left to settle before you try to other wise you could easily have a hormonal battle on your hands

:D That puts my mind at ease slightly!

Leo is only a slight little thing being a Lionhead and I'm looking to bond him with someone of equal size. On the website their are a number of small rabbits as well so hopefully I would be able to select one of them.

I'm not going to be bonding Blanche with any other rabbits, she is currently happily bonded with Archie. However, I am intending on getting her spayed in the next few weeks when I can have a full day off post surgery to keep an eye on her :) At no point will she or Archie be coming into direct contact with Leo and new wifebun.

:D That puts my mind at ease slightly!

Leo is only a slight little thing being a Lionhead and I'm looking to bond him with someone of equal size. On the website their are a number of small rabbits as well so hopefully I would be able to select one of them.

I'm not going to be bonding Blanche with any other rabbits, she is currently happily bonded with Archie. However, I am intending on getting her spayed in the next few weeks when I can have a full day off post surgery to keep an eye on her :) At no point will she or Archie be coming into direct contact with Leo and new wifebun.

You should be fine then - remember it is a homevisit rather than a snoop to see if you dust your skirting boards properly :lol: Is it the manchester and salford branch? I have spoken to the rabbit lady there and she is really good

You should be fine then - remember it is a homevisit rather than a snoop to see if you dust your skirting boards properly :lol: Is it the manchester and salford branch? I have spoken to the rabbit lady there and she is really good

:D Fingers crossed everything will go according to plan then! Even my mum who never even wanted rabbits in the first place got a bit dissapointed when I said that we might not be able to adopt due to the run situation.

Yes it's the Salford branch. I've not spoke to the lady who is in charge of the off site "rabbitery" but the Susie at the main branch has been brilliant so far.

I've still got so much to do with regards to buying the new hutch, extra litter trays, more food bowls and toys, sorting out Blanches spay so I think it's going to be at least two weeks before I can start truly putting the wheels in motion.

I don't know if it's best to express my interest in adopting now or wait until everything is ready hutch wise and then approach the lady who is "in charge" of the rabbits? I'm aware that they only have a reserve time of 7-10days on each bunny and I don't think I'm going to have everything ready in such a short time ... not with working full time? I don't want to get my hopes up for the above bunny and then in a few weeks find out she's gone?

She's gorgeous. I <3 grey bunnies!

If I were you I'd write all your points down and look at the list while you're on the phone - that way you won't miss anything.

Each RSPCA branch is different, some are more lenient than others, some have different requirements. Nobody else will be able to give you an accurate answer.

Our RSPCA branch would NOT rehome to this setup. We wouldn't have rehomed to it even under our previous requirements. I'm not saying its a bad setup, I really don't know, but just saying that we wouldn't rehome to it. If you want to see what we do rehome to, then feel free to check out my website.

Back