• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Four bunnies into the vets this morning & another one with symptoms...

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Okay so as you may know i currently have six bunnies with runny eyes. I just discovered this morning that shadow has the same thing. His teeth need trimming, but i'm not sure it's down to this as he never has had a runny eye before and he has been within 2foot of my other bunnies who have runny eyes, but in a seperate setup. Does anyone know of any contagious eye problems that can transfer from that distance, other than pasturella?

Thanks
Ambience x

No only conjunctivitus I would imagine, are they a bit run down or anything? Hopefully you'll get some Fucithalmic ointment and it will clear things up.

No only conjunctivitus I would imagine, are they a bit run down or anything? Hopefully you'll get some Fucithalmic ointment and it will clear things up.

Fucithalmic didn't work, but tiacil has done on two of my bunnys with the same problems. Patch and Blaze are clearing up on tiacil. Just wondered how conjunctivitis can travel,but i guess it's possible that it's just passed on through my hands, through not using antibacterial and only soap.

Thanks for the reassurance on this one vicki, was just a little bit worried there might be some illness that i don't know about.

Ambience xx

Fucithalmic didn't work, but tiacil has done on two of my bunnys with the same problems. Patch and Blaze are clearing up on tiacil. Just wondered how conjunctivitis can travel,but i guess it's possible that it's just passed on through my hands, through not using antibacterial and only soap.

Thanks for the reassurance on this one vicki, was just a little bit worried there might be some illness that i don't know about.

Ambience xx

I honestly don't know tbh - I know Gizmo had a runny eye for a few days after his neuter, not infected just watery but didn't look right at all and I put it down to the op and being generally run down, I gave him lots of herbs including (dill) and bathed it with cooled boiled water and it did stop. My only other experience of this was a milky fluid coming from the eye and that was noticed on a new adoptee Jingle - so god knows how long he had suffered with it, anyway the fucithalmic and building him up food wise helped, i think he was run down aswell having been neglected and then rescued and moved and suddenly being able to see another bunny for the first time in his life! He was 3 years alone unneutered:(- it was all too much for him I think so the ointment and good diet helped he was grand within a few days. I suppose it's possible about the transference apologies I assumed they were all together. Hope they get better soon, when I did the cleaning with cooled boiled water I used a new cotton wool pad for each wipe aswell to be sure of not re-infecting. Fingers crossed for your little group xx

Conjunctivitis could pass on clothes and stuff as well I imagine.

I had a bout where I had 3 rabbits swapping and reswapping eye infections with each other. Funnily enough, fucthlamic worked for two bunnies, and Tiacil worked for the other. So if the one you know works, doesn't work, try the other one anyway. It was a nightmare at the time, definitely.

I would wonder about hay playing a part too. I got a bale recently that didn't smell or look or feel bad but it made a good few of mine cough and sneeze- as soon as I got rid of it, they stopped.

Hopefully you can get it sorted. Its no fun having so much stress.

Conjunctivitis could pass on clothes and stuff as well I imagine.

I had a bout where I had 3 rabbits swapping and reswapping eye infections with each other. Funnily enough, fucthlamic worked for two bunnies, and Tiacil worked for the other. So if the one you know works, doesn't work, try the other one anyway. It was a nightmare at the time, definitely.

I would wonder about hay playing a part too. I got a bale recently that didn't smell or look or feel bad but it made a good few of mine cough and sneeze- as soon as I got rid of it, they stopped.
Hopefully you can get it sorted. Its no fun having so much stress.

Yes good point, or any other allergens perhaps in the air?

Back