• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

2 week old bun

ksmith

New Kit
Hi! I am raising a baby bun. The baby is domestic, I took it from mom because 10 out of the 11 had already died. So im hand feeding and have been since couple days old. The bun is drinking several cc every 3-4hrs of kitten replacement milk. Is this around the correct amount? and when should I introduce pellets and hay? :bunny:

Can't you have forced feeding time with mum? Just hold her still and try to get the baby to attach to the teet.

i did at first, but it was too late, her milk had dried up. and she has since went to live on a farm and I only have the one baby

The baby should have access to pellets and hay as well as water all the time wherever it lives, especially now it has its eyes open.

KRM is not ideal to hand raise a kit on. Having said that you've done very well to get it this far which is a testament to you.

Hi! I am raising a baby bun. The baby is domestic, I took it from mom because 10 out of the 11 had already died. So im hand feeding and have been since couple days old. The bun is drinking several cc every 3-4hrs of kitten replacement milk. Is this around the correct amount? and when should I introduce pellets and hay? :bunny:

The amount of milk sounds about right...basically give as much as he/she will take.

As Sky-O has said, water, hay and pellets need to be available too. Junior pellets tend to be best because they are small enough for tiny babies to eat, and are high in nutrition. I can't recommend a brand because I think you have different brands in the US compared to what we have in the UK

Well done BTW...I've hand reared a couple of times and know what hard work it is...keep up the good work!

in response to everyone that helped, thank you very much for all your advice. I do have to note this in case anyone reads this post and follows what ive done. My bun was doing very well, and i added hay and pellets and water and was slowly weening it, and my local pet store was out if the liquid krm and i bought powder. the bun rejected at first, and we had a morning feeding, and within minutes of him eating it, he developed diarrhea, then dehydration, shock, and I ended up loosing it. I am very upset about my loss, i struggled hard to save this bun, and the change of formula type was too much and ended in death. so if anyone is doing the same, do note a change in formula type can be too much. thanks again to all who helped, and good luck to everyone hand rasing babies. my baby would have been okay if I had only known the change would be to difficult for his immature system:cry:

Back