• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue Centres

Toad

Warren Scout
I am going back to my local rescue centre tomorrow. I think I got a bit over whelmed on Friday as there were sooo many rabbits there that needed rehomed.

I am going to make arangements to get vetted this week to see if I am a suitable bunny mum.

Has anyone got any tips on the best rabbits to rehome? I have been thinking all weekend and I think it would be kinder to rehome a lone rabbit, because a lot of them have a friend. How do you choose one though??? Its so difficult because they are all beautiful :love: and need a lovely forever home.

What do you want from a rabbit? Personality? Age? Are you willing to take on special needs or a rabbit that requires extra care (say grooming)? breed?

Its only kinder to rehome a rabbit that is single if its indoors or if it will have, or in due course get, a friend.

Hmm. If it were me i would choose one of the ones that had been there the longest. Also, the plain black, and plain white bunnies tend to be in the care the longest. I wouldnt rehome one of our rescue bunnies alone though, they are social animals, so thats something else to bear in mind - the centre will tell you this though before they put the homecheck through :)

All the best xx

There a a mixture of rabbits that are in pairs and a lot of rabbits on their own.

I am much more drawn to the lone rabbits because I could pair them up with another lone rabbit in the rescue (the rescue said they would start the bonding process for me). I am not bothered about age or breed or looks. I would prefer a rabbit that was slightly less nervous and some have major health problems ( I would love to take these rabbits but due to my rabbit inexperience, I dont think I would be the best owner for them). In time I would like to rehome the buns that have major extra requirements, but at the moment I need a rabbit to be kind to my inexperience :lol:

There a a mixture of rabbits that are in pairs and a lot of rabbits on their own.

I am much more drawn to the lone rabbits because I could pair them up with another lone rabbit in the rescue (the rescue said they would start the bonding process for me). I am not bothered about age or breed or looks. I would prefer a rabbit that was slightly less nervous and some have major health problems ( I would love to take these rabbits but due to my rabbit inexperience, I dont think I would be the best owner for them). In time I would like to rehome the buns that have major extra requirements, but at the moment I need a rabbit to be kind to my inexperience :lol:

We tend to rehome our singles faster than what we do our pairs :) Its really hard to rehome pairs :? I have a pair of black bunnies coming in soon, and i know they'll be here a long time :(

Do update us once you've been to the centre xx

Talk to the rescue about which ones have been there longest. I heard once that pairs are harder to rehome, so you might actually be better taking two that are already paired.

I have always found black and agouti buns hard to rehome so maybe consider one of those.

Personally when I choose a rabbit, I tend to just go and sit with each one in turn for a bit then adopt the one i feel "drawn" to. :) good luck :wave:

Quite often the ones in pairs can be the longest stayers.
With the longer stay rabbits we would only let them stay single for so long. Because companionship is so important to a rabbit we would bond singles into pairs if it looked like they were not going to get a home any time soon.
Talk to the peps at the rescue though - they'll know their rabbits!

I would have thought that pairs would have gone quicker than single rabbits!! Oh my what a pickle!! I felt bad on Friday because I was so overwhelmed by ther shear amount of rabbits. I felt like I was taking the ladies time as well. (not that she made me feel like this, I can just imagine the huge amount of work they have to do)

I will go back tommorrow and have a more informed look round. I was concentrating on the singles because I felt sorry for them, I will have a better look at the pairs of rabbits too now .....I will tell you how I have got on :D

Maybe ask if you can spend time with the pairs that are 'easiest' to see if any of them seem the right pair for you?

Maybe ask if you can spend time with the pairs that are 'easiest' to see if any of them seem the right pair for you?

Thats a good idea. Most of the pairs are really scared. I had to lie down in some of the pens to see them hiding under their hutches :( Poor little mites. I would hate to know why they are so scared of humans.

I am going to go with a better head on tommorrow. I will NOT be overwhelmed, and I will make the right choice!

Thanks for your help guys x

Its ok to take time and think about things after tomorrow too. Maybe take a camera to take pics of bunnies you are consdering so you remember what they look like.

Working with scared bunnies can be VERY rewarding, but takes a lot of patience.

We have not been rehoming pairs at all this year - only singles.

In our case we find that people who already have rabbits and who seek a friend or a new rabbit when one of their existing pair or group pass on choose singles. Therefore we rehome singles more frequently.

People who don't have rabbits currently are more likely to choose pairs as they are already settled and most shelters I know won't bond up two pairs to go out to a new home if they have pairs waiting - it cuts down on the available bunnies for adoption by people needing a friend for their exisiting. Sadly we haven't seen so many people new to rabbits adopting in recent months, hence the pairs being still here.

Buns need company so I'd choose a pair if I were in your shoes.

The rescue should be able to advise you on a suitable group for your set up and lifestyle.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Helen

Maybe ask if they mind if you just sit in with a pair for while - take a book with you and read, wait for them to get comfortable around you and see what their personalities are like.
They may just leave you do it and do other work from somewhere they can see you so you don't have to worry about wasting their time.

We have not been rehoming pairs at all this year - only singles.

In our case we find that people who already have rabbits and who seek a friend or a new rabbit when one of their existing pair or group pass on choose singles. Therefore we rehome singles more frequently.

People who don't have rabbits currently are more likely to choose pairs as they are already settled and most shelters I know won't bond up two pairs to go out to a new home if they have pairs waiting - it cuts down on the available bunnies for adoption by people needing a friend for their exisiting. Sadly we haven't seen so many people new to rabbits adopting in recent months, hence the pairs being still here.

Buns need company so I'd choose a pair if I were in your shoes.

The rescue should be able to advise you on a suitable group for your set up and lifestyle.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Helen

I didnt really think about it like that! Thanks for the advice Helen. I will definatley take more time looking at the pairs. I will take some photos and let you know how I got on!

Many thanks

Ruth x

Back