• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what things do you do to educate people?

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
I really should learn to keep my nose out and be more active in other ways but I can't help myself:oops: There are constant posts on freecycle from people asking for hutches and most of the time they want one because they are buying their son/daughter/grand-daughter etc a rabbit.

I can't help but reply to the person :roll: giving a few bunny facts, the rabbit welfare and rabbit rehome links etc. I have been given abuse but perhaps my emails were not the best worded ones in the beginning, I have got better :lol: Only about 2 people have ever emailed me back to say thanks or whatever, the rest just blatantly ignore me.

I was in pets at home yesterday (only because I had a voucher) and there was some kids eyeing up the rabbits, and I was trying to ear wig the parents conversation :oops::oops:thankfully my o/h came back and pulled me away before my mouth opened :oops:but whilst I was standing there I noticed the complete lack of care leaflets etc, there is hardly any info whatsover.

How can I do something that is helping that won't land me in hot water!?

Obviously staying away from freecycle might help, but I use it a lot to de clutter my house, oh and to re clutter :roll::lol:

if you can have the forum addy written down then you can just smile and give it to anyone interested in rabbits and tell them its the perfect place for any rabbit owner.

I tend to just jump in and I'm not fussed. I word carefully, but have never, once, gone on freecycle or preloved, so have not yet had that experience :lol:

I think it is such a wide scale problem of people buying a rabbit for a child, they child gets bored, and poor bunny gets forgotton about. It is not the child or the rabbits fault. Perhaps a petition should be made, I think you can start one of the Downing street website about stricter laws on pet shops selling animals.

I dont get how a pet shop can sell an animal to any old tom, **** or harry. If you want to do the right thing and rescue a rabbit you have to be completely vetted to see if you are a suitible owner. Why is this not the case for pet shops?

head in sand gal :wave::wave: i dont go looking for bunnies in distress but if someone says they are thinking of getting a bunny i tell them the bunny needs a pal and as much space as possible. i also tell them how much my buns have cost me in illness so insurance is a must

the taxi driver who took me to pick up Alvin and Holly was talking about getting bunnies... he picked me up the last time holly was at the vets and strangely didnt have buns yet :lol::lol::lol:

I go to pets at home (hate em hate em hate em!!) Loiter around the bunnies and anyone looking at them gets the lecture on what hard work and how expensive they are and they need to kept in pairs and how much room they need and the expense of vet bills....:lol:

I dont get how a pet shop can sell an animal to any old tom, **** or harry. If you want to do the right thing and rescue a rabbit you have to be completely vetted to see if you are a suitible owner. Why is this not the case for pet shops?

I know it seems really stupid to me :? rescues only seem to rehome in a pair but pet shops can sell just one:?

head in sand gal :wave::wave: i dont go looking for bunnies in distress but if someone says they are thinking of getting a bunny i tell them the bunny needs a pal and as much space as possible. i also tell them how much my buns have cost me in illness so insurance is a must

the taxi driver who took me to pick up Alvin and Holly was talking about getting bunnies... he picked me up the last time holly was at the vets and strangely didnt have buns yet :lol::lol::lol:

One of my friends has a daughter who absolutely loves bunnies and has done since she was about one...shes now just 7. My other friend who has 2 bunnies kept saying oh they'll just have to get her one :roll: And I was thinking oh please don't! But I had a conversation with my friend last week and she was asking me tons of questions about rabbits as she was seriously thinking of getting TWO RESCUE BUNS :D I just gave her tons of info like you, plus we told her how :censored: my other friends hutch/run is and o/h said he'd make her one :)

I go to pets at home (hate em hate em hate em!!) Loiter around the bunnies and anyone looking at them gets the lecture on what hard work and how expensive they are and they need to kept in pairs and how much room they need and the expense of vet bills....:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Well, I got Louie from Pets at Home and he lives on his own so I don't suppose I am in a position to lecture anyone :shock:

Well, I got Louie from Pets at Home and he lives on his own so I don't suppose I am in a position to lecture anyone :shock:

Is Louie a house bun? I think that its fine to have one as a house bunny, Spudsey lived in the house on her own for a year and seemed to love sitting on us and jumping on the settee :)

My little bunny holly was from P@h she lived alone as a house bun for years and was really happy, i loved her to bits. xxxxx

Back