• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP! - not eating drinking or moving U/D she has recovered now and is eating

ash&crystal

Alpha Buck
just before i start i suspect this could be either - bloat, gut statis , urinary stones?? now i dont know about these conditions but i am so worried

my 14 week old baby rabbit who lives with her other sister and mum has been in the corner of her bed area, she hasnt ate (apart from two bits of food i had to put in her mouth) she just has sat there wont drink, (brought the bottle to her) she just sits there with no emotion:cry: this has been just today her belly is quite large and is a bit hard but a bit squidgy (didnt want to poke hard just when i picked her up i noticed) my mum doesnt want to ring the vets and says leave her till morning and see how she has got on. so i am waiting till the morning and see if she has improved does any one know what this is and if so are there is there anything i can do for her tonight or anything i should look out for? also i have looked it up and she doesnt seem to be grinding her teeth or anything. i am just so worried:cry: ash just came back from surgery on friday and i am cant take any more worry:cry:

thanks in advance for any advice xx

Last edited:
Oh no! :cry:

I hope she is better soon. I cant give much advice but to get her to a vet. Sounds like she is very poorly :cry:

Good luck x

If you leave her until morning she may be dead.

I know its hard for you, but could you get your mum to come on here and talk to us?

How do her ears feel? Cool? Warm?

You really have to take her to a vet. As Sky-O said by tomorrow it'll be too late.

I know it's hard when your parents don't understand but maybe show her this thread. Poor bun is in a critical condition, and will probably be in pain if her tummy has been bloated. :(

Just try and get her to understand the importance of taking her to an emergency vet.

It was a good idea to get your mum to come on and talk to someone here or try ringing The Rabbit Welfare Association. I know the advice will be most definately to take her to the emergency vet. She needs an injection to get her guts moving before it's too late. The number for Rabbit Welfare Association is on their website. The lady there might still be answering the helpline - I found her very helpful - you could get her to talk to your mum.

All the best.

If you can't take her to the vet then can you bring them all inside, so she is warmer. Also, if she is able to move generally, give her a heat source to help her keep warm.

None of that is what she really needs though. She should have gone to the vet as soon as someone noticed there was something wrong this morning.

I do hope you manage to get her to the vet. Its what she needs.

I agree with what everyone has said.

Your bunny is potentially VERY ill and needs to be seen by a vet NOW.

I know it's hard for you but maybe you could ask your mum to read these comments on here?

How did it go? Hope she is ok today. The same thing happened to my molly a couple of weeks ago and she was fine after a night of intensive nursing at the vets.

sorry i wasnt on when everyone was telling me to go to vets

well came out this morning and she was running around and was diving for the food and 15 mins later she was drinking she has a vets appointment tommorow any way so will ask about it, i think she had maybe got a hold of something bad but i think it has passed as there are normal poos from everyone now (the rabbits i mean:oops:) obviously if anything detiriorates i will call the vets. thanks so much for the replies. I was soo worried about her

thanks again

ash&crystal

I’m both amazed and glad that she’s perked up this morning, but please don’t let this lull you into a false sense of security, if it happens again you may not be so lucky. These are all signs of needing urgent veterinary attention, and more often than not the outcome is bleak if left to see how they get on by the next morning (this, to me, seems like quite an old-fashioned approach to rabbit care?)

Many rabbits showing the same symptoms sadly don’t make it even with early veterinary attention, they can go downhill and be dead within a handful of hours, but you will want to give them every possible fighting chance if it does happen again.

I don't mean for the above to scare you, it's just like I said, it's easy to fall into a false sense of security that they can get over it by themselves if there is a next time.

Last edited:
I’m both amazed and glad that she’s perked up this morning, but please don’t let this lull you into a false sense of security, if it happens again you may not be so lucky. These are all signs of needing urgent veterinary attention, and more often than not the outcome is bleak if left to see how they get on by the next morning (this, to me, seems like quite an old-fashioned approach to rabbit care? beforemost people )

Many rabbits showing the same symptoms sadly don’t make it even with early veterinary attention, they can go downhill and be dead within a handful of hours, but you will want to give them every possible fighting chance if it does happen again.

I don't mean for the above to scare you, it's just like I said, it's easy to fall into a false sense of security that they can get over it by themselves if there is a next time.

of course this experiance has taught me that if anything this serious she needs to go straight to vets i am ashamed at myself to of not made my mum ring the vet and i will be keeping a very close eye on lola until tuesday i will tell the vets about this and see if it could be a medical problem or she was just ill and had to poo it out.

So glad your bun has recovered. Are you at Orchard Vets? I used to work in Hexham, that's where I got me Pyeman from, and a vet there was fantastic with advice, can't remember her name now :roll:

So glad your bun has recovered. Are you at Orchard Vets? I used to work in Hexham, that's where I got me Pyeman from, and a vet there was fantastic with advice, can't remember her name now :roll:

Yeah!:D except women mis sexed rabbit :roll: but they have just spayed ash and she is great i am really happy with the treatment and they are really friendly too!

Yeah!:D except women mis sexed rabbit :roll: but they have just spayed ash and she is great i am really happy with the treatment and they are really friendly too!

Small world :) the lady I saw there worked in the Hexham and Corbridge branch, I want to say she had blond curly hair but I've seen that many vets since he was little!!!

Small world :) the lady I saw there worked in the Hexham and Corbridge branch, I want to say she had blond curly hair but I've seen that many vets since he was little!!!

how long ago is it since you worked there?? i dont think there is a one with blond curls but i have only seen two vets (and a surgeon i think b4 ash went in):D

how long ago is it since you worked there?? i dont think there is a one with blond curls but i have only seen two vets (and a surgeon i think b4 ash went in):D

:oops: about 4 years!! She def wasn't full time at the Hexham branch but I remember her saying she had buns of her own and she was their main bunny vet, she's probably got straight black hair knowing my memory!!!

:oops: about 4 years!! She def wasn't full time at the Hexham branch but I remember her saying she had buns of her own and she was their main bunny vet, she's probably got straight black hair knowing my memory!!!

i dont recall seeing her but there is a women at the desk who has rabbits or "she has big round fluffy ones" (pointing at ash:lol:) as the other desk women decribed them later worked out she has two giants :D

Back