• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best position for nail clipping?

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I was wondering what position you hold your buns in whilst you clip their nails - I had a rare old battle getting them done today, whichever way I held them, they seemed able to hide the foot I wanted to clip! :? :lol:

Last time my buns had their boosters I asked my vet this and she said on your lap whilst your sitting on a stool. Put the bunnies head in the bend of your arm and easy peasy. She did both of mine in about two minutes flat.

I tried this at home a month or so later and it took me an hour!!!:shock::shock:

Nail clipping with my two is a two person job, my OH holds whilst I clip.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help you out more, clipping is a nightmare sometimes isn't it?

On my lap usually. It does depends on the bunny how hard it is and what mood they are in :roll: Did Merlin and Wesley yesterday and they were a dream. Still got 4 to do.

Last edited:
I just sit down somewhere low (like on the garden steps) and hold them like a baby. If they struggle, I just clamp their head between my elbow and side (obv not too forcefully!)

My mam holds Charlie and hugs him close so he can cuddle up and be pushed against her neck (his fave cuddle position) and I just gently hold each foot out one by one, snip the nails off and done. I give him a little treat between each foot too so that he doesn't get stroppy

Petal has to be upright and I move her round and hold her tightly to me. Frank, I put on to his back. He's happy with this and it makes the whole process very quick. I also have to trim and cut Franks fur as he gets matted (long, thick fur) round his back area and armpits etc.

i plonk them on the vets table and let them worry about the position :oops: :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I do almost the same - I get a friendly local RU-er (hi Lou :wave:) to come and help me as dh is pants at holding the buns still. Lou gets the feet in the right position for me and I cut. :lol:

I wish I could do it single-handedly but there's no way, unless I grow at least one extra arm.

Wispa is pretty easy, I hold him close to me, a bit like a baby and clip away. I have attempted gabriella yet, but I think I'll let someone else worry about how to hold her.

:lol::lol::lol: I do almost the same - I get a friendly local RU-er (hi Lou :wave:) to come and help me as dh is pants at holding the buns still. Lou gets the feet in the right position for me and I cut. :lol:

I wish I could do it single-handedly but there's no way, unless I grow at least one extra arm.

im thinking of training my mom up, she held Holly great the other night :D:D

im thinking of training my mom up, she held Holly great the other night :D:D

Your mom can be Holly's nail technician. ;) You're not gonna make her hold Alvin too are you? :shock: :lol::lol:

Dh used to be really good when we had rabbits before. I used to hold our little nethie, Reggie, while John did the cutting. I think it's because I'm so ott with these two and he's too scared of breaking one of them and me never forgiving him for it. :oops::oops:

Your mom can be Holly's nail technician. ;) You're not gonna make her hold Alvin too are you? :shock: :lol::lol:

Dh used to be really good when we had rabbits before. I used to hold our little nethie, Reggie, while John did the cutting. I think it's because I'm so ott with these two and he's too scared of breaking one of them and me never forgiving him for it. :oops::oops:

yes Alvin... this is why ive not bought nail clippers yet :lol::lol::lol:

Feisty bunny! :lol:

Alfie likes to pretend he's tough but as soon as I pick him up he goes all slushy. :love:

Bubbles is just a big scaredy cat but if she feels you releasing your grip, she tries to jump for it. :shock: That's why I wouldn't want to do her nails on my own; she'd probably flinch at the wrong moment and lose a toe. :?

I opt out and go to the vets - Leo had his claws done tonight when he went for his myxi jab - new vet and she didnt seem sure of best position so we went for me holding him on his back in my arms and he was fine, but I cant do it on my own - he knows how to play me up;)

He was a star tonight best behaviour and did not flinch for his myxi jab.

Back