• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help/Advice Needed asap!

Funkylady

Young Bun
well, I had my rabbit in for castration a week last thursday, he had numerous check ups afterwards, where it was discovered he had licked open his glued wound. They then stitched him up, again he pulled them out. So now he's been stapled and is wearing a collar. I am having to feed him to make sure he can reach, he is managing a bit of hay but not alot and ive seen him drinking from his bottle, but he can't reach his bowl.

I've checked him today and he's got ceacotrophs all over his collar and a big pile of runny poops mixed with ceacotrophs in his hutch. I have cleaned it. But I don't really want this to go on.

He's had his collar on for 2 days now, and is really struggling. Should I take it off so he can get back to his special poos and normal eating... or will he just pull his staples out? (he is a naughty boy!)

Ive also noticed a definate shrinkage in his poops. They are quite small and hard. I am cutting back pellets and upping his hay and veg? is this right?

I really need advice as wont be able to see a vet till tomorrow.

What would you guys do? I know this is alot of questions, I am just getting a bit panicky.

really hope someone can help.

Angela x

I would offer his ceacals to him, if he can not manage to get to them, he does need to eat them.
I would cut out veg all together for the moment to be honest, veg will only make his poops runny.
Up the hay and a small amount of pellets, however if he is not able to actually get to his food, that may be a bit difficult, are you able to hand feed him pellets and hay?
It is a bit concerning that his poops have shrunk though as this could be an indication that he is heading in to statis, if I were you I would get him to the vets asap.

Edit: Do you have any Fibreplex?

This sounds very stressful for the poor boy. Is he on pain medication? Has he had any since the day he was neutered?

I suspect he needs pain medication. I can't imagine having all that done and not having pain killers.

I think if he was on adequate pain relief then he wouldn't be worrying his wounds and the collar could be removed.

Yes, Baytril can affect their gut. I would suggest some probiotics (like bio-lapis or fibreplex) would be beneficial.

I suspect he needs pain medication. I can't imagine having all that done and not having pain killers.

I think if he was on adequate pain relief then he wouldn't be worrying his wounds and the collar could be removed.

Yes, Baytril can affect their gut. I would suggest some probiotics (like bio-lapis or fibreplex) would be beneficial.

I agree with this. Get him some pain meds and then get that collar off him. I hate those things. I expect he's in pain, hungry and dehydrated and heading into stasis at worst, ileus at best. I would personally take him to a vet today for some pain relief and some fluids, and possibly some gut motility medication, or pick up some of these drugs from the vet today and administer them orally at home instead. Chewing a wound is one of two things - pain, or healing causing itchiness. Either way anti-inflammatories should help. Good luck x

You can get bio lapis from vetuk and it's cheaper than the vets will prescribe it :)

Agree but feel this bun needs these probiotics more urgently than waiting for the postman on this occasion. :) I'd personally recommend fibreplex as it has the added benefit of fibre and for a bun not drinking much you will be able to get a full dose in via the syringe it comes in.

He is drinking and eating well. I have spent some time with him. Have cleaned his bottom and fed him his pellets and lots of hay. He seemed to appreciate the assistance. He has been drinkig regularly from his bottle. Wil go out in another hour to see if he has any more runny poos. I cannot see vet this evenin as I have two young children and no childcare till tomorrow morning. He does seem quite bright and is very keen on his food which I see as a positive thing.

As others have said try to hand feed him as much hay has he will eat and make sure he is drinking. My two drank loads of water after their spays.

If he is sitting very hunched, stops pooing/eating or drinking he really needs to be seen by a vet tonight.

Regardless of whether he is eating etc tomorrow I would take him to the vet as it sounds like him may be in pain which could be the cause of the other symptons you mentioned.

If you are worried tonight you could always ring the vets and explain the situation, they may suggest something that could help overnight until you can get to the vets tomorrow.

Bunnies are a worry aren't they! Hope this helps :)

I would definitely feed him his ceacotrophs as suggested earlier :)
Try hand feeding him as much hay as you can and also some greens, dandelion leaves, basil and other herbs may help him. Do you have a water bottle that he can drink from? Also, pineapple juice is meant to be good to get their guts moving.
Hope that helps, I know how worring these lovely little creatures can be ;)
Good luck and lots of get well vibes coming your way
Sam and Flo :love:
xxx

I have fed him a handful of hay. Strand by strand and some basil and dandelion. He ate it all and produced some quite small but golden poos. He then took a massive drink from his bottle. He is doing alot of thumping tho. I will keep at it through the night. So just hay and a few greens? Plenty of water? Tried to phone vets but no answer :-( i wil phone first thing in morning. When shud I expect his ceacotrophs? He's not done any since this morning. Thank u all so far. I am determine to
get him through this!!! X

When you call the vets tomorrow make sure that you bring some Metacam home for him so you can give it to him for a few days after. (Metacam is the anti inflammatory painkiller).

Cecotrophs normally happen in the morning, so he should be ok for a few hours now.

I hope he stays lively and interested.

Thank you all so much. Your advice is totally invaluable to me and I would not be coping as well without you. I will ask for metacam definitely! I was going to ask last time bu was unsure that was it's name. Thank you sky o! I hav childcare arranged for tomorrow whenevr I need it. Fingers crossed my wee man makes it through. He is stil so new to me, but I love him to bits already! X

Thank you all so much. Your advice is totally invaluable to me and I would not be coping as well without you. I will ask for metacam definitely! I was going to ask last time bu was unsure that was it's name. Thank you sky o! I hav childcare arranged for tomorrow whenevr I need it. Fingers crossed my wee man makes it through. He is stil so new to me, but I love him to bits already! X

Aw, he sounds so loved.

Its unlikely, but over night, if he goes cool or deterioriates, he will need the vets, but you can try and bring his temperature up by using a sugglesafe or a rice sock for him to sit with.

I don't have either, but he has a layer of carefresh and a warm fleece blanket that he sleeps on. It's a nice calm, warm night here with a light misty rain on and off. I hav left him with a nice fresh bunch of hay which he started tucking into himself. He has def peed since last check but no more poops. Fingers crossed he has a nice full litter tray soon! I've noticed he's actually drunk almost a whole water bottle today, I hope this bodes well for him x

A rice sock is really easy. Its just uncooked rice, in a sock and microwaved, or over heated. It just means that if they are unable to maintain their temperature (in this case, due to shock), then they have an aid to help them.

Hopefully it won't be necessary.

Drinking is super important because it will keep his gut hydrated which is vital for stomach issues.

It's fantastic news that he is drinking lots, that will help him with his poos later on. It's also good to hear that he is going to the food himself too, and what goes in must come out so I'm sure you will see the results soon! How is he this morning? Did you manage to get him to the vets?
Sam and Flo :love:
xxx

Back from vets about an hour ago. His poops have increased in size and looking more golden now. He is peeing plenty and I managed to get him to eat two ceacotrophs and his pellets. His collar is stil on as he will pul his staples otherwise, which wud result in more upset for him. So we are just going to battle on with the collar and hand feeding for another few days. I am feeling alot mor positive and jeremy seems ok this morning. Fingers crossed he will continue to improve. X

Back