• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

day two....advice

Domino27

Mama Doe
Typing this rather bleary eyed, my buns are MORNING bunnies indeed...bed for 1, or rather the sofa (key bad back) and my black one was trying to move the cage from 5am onwards and shredding paper.
Just wondered how people thought this was going really....had no grooming what so ever, even tried banana but she was more interested in me....no fights though, bit of chasing and fur pulling from him but nothing major. He's stopped humping now, not that it was a regular thing anyway, but still honks at her. She's not been bothered with him at all, we have had flops together but with a ten cm gap between....

I've reduced their space to stop shredding etc and to make them interact more, they're now in a cube shape...pic below
74b66755.jpg

Do I get rid of the tray? He always flops by her but then she moves, however atm we do have side by side flop....mainly as she has nowhere else to go...the main thing is they haven't been fighting!

Many thanks.... :)

I am no expert on bonding. (Chickened out and got a rescue to do it.)

But, and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, that looks a wee bit on the small side, Maybe increase the space a bit.

It all sounds good, from what I have read though, I guess it takes time to bond.

Good luck, and hopefully someone with more experience will be on soon:)

ETA I would take the litter tray out to stop possessiveness.

I am no expert on bonding. (Chickened out and got a rescue to do it.)

But, and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, that looks a wee bit on the small side, Maybe increase the space a bit.

It all sounds good, from what I have read though, I guess it takes time to bond.

Good luck, and hopefully someone with more experience will be on soon:)

ETA I would take the litter tray out to stop possessiveness.

The tray is meant for a cat so prob looks small coz of this....tbh I've not seen any possessive behaviour over it but will take it out. I am very impatient....lol

Will both hop in the tray at the same time? If not I would probably take it out. Small cage is good as it forces the interaction. I put together a 4ft x 2ft pen for my two buns. I found that after the first 6 hours, humping reduced dramatically and after 12 hours there was no humping. Noah was always grooming Charlee but it took until probably 36 hours for Charlee to groom Noah. Your bonding is taking a little longer but that is not really a concern as every 2 buns are different and have different reactions, though they seem to be showing positive signs (especially if no aggression). I would probably be reluctant to increase space at this stage. Good luck!

Will both hop in the tray at the same time? If not I would probably take it out. Small cage is good as it forces the interaction. I put together a 4ft x 2ft pen for my two buns. I found that after the first 6 hours, humping reduced dramatically and after 12 hours there was no humping. Noah was always grooming Charlee but it took until probably 36 hours for Charlee to groom Noah. Your bonding is taking a little longer but that is not really a concern as every 2 buns are different and have different reactions, though they seem to be showing positive signs (especially if no aggression). I would probably be reluctant to increase space at this stage. Good luck!

They will both hop in and if she's in she doesn't jump or growl etc if he jumps in after her. The humping has stopped thankfully! Here they are atm..

71886427.jpg

a9c1fb21.jpg

She is V grumpy and going out of her mind in that cage, she's found a way of moving the whole thing much to her delight...

ooooo she's just done a massive belly flop onto her back next to him with her head shoved under his whilst he's having a kip... :love:

I really need to get out this afternoon, don't think I need to take them with me as I understand car journeys are only if they are aggressive towards each other (from what I've read anyway)...only be for an hour....

ooooo she's just done a massive belly flop onto her back next to him with her head shoved under his whilst he's having a kip... :love:

I really need to get out this afternoon, don't think I need to take them with me as I understand car journeys are only if they are aggressive towards each other (from what I've read anyway)...only be for an hour....

I think they will be fine! :) I had to leave Noah and Charlee for 2 or 3 hours when they were only 12 hours in. They were fine though.

I think they will be fine! :) I had to leave Noah and Charlee for 2 or 3 hours when they were only 12 hours in. They were fine though.

Thanks, just a bit worrying but they were fine :) May even attempt the gym later!

Had a lot of flops today, he seems to like shoving her backside out of the way as he tries to squeeze in behind her. I have 4 more metal squares to fit to the cage so I may try adding another tomorrow to give them a bit more space. Still no grooming :roll: Ive groomed them (he's still got banana juice matted in his mane) so I was combing that out and she cme in for a groom as well, was most amusing and very very cute.

I don't know how some of you guys do this on a regular basis!!! :shock:

Back