• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating!

sam_shinton84

Young Bun
Please help!
My rabbit, Flo, has stopped eating tonight. On the advice of the emergency vets she was taken in and given gut stimulant and pain relief, she was also given an antibiotic as the vet believes she has an infection. We have been home for an hour now and although she has had a drink, she still hasn't eaten anything (and we've tried tempting her with all her favourite foods) or been to the toilet. The vet said to take her back if there was no change overnight. Has anyone got any advice for what we could do to encourage her to start eating/ pooing?
Many thanks in advance
Sam xx

Just keep tempting her with anything to eat.
Have you been given any meds to carry on giving? Or a syringe feed?
When my rabbit stopped eating after a spay we had to syringe feed hger every two hours to get her going again..

Hope she eats soon :)

No they haven't given us anything they just said to bring her back if there was no improvement. Everything she would normally jump at she is turning her nose up to, I don't know what to do now :cry:!
Thank you xx

If she has pellets crumble some up and add water to make a mushy mix, and try getting a little into her mouth.

Give her some gentle tummy rubs, and make her move about a bit if you can.

Good luck x

Don't panic. It might be a different situation as you don't no why shes stopped eating, with maisy it was the GA and spay.

Maisy didn't take to it but maybe try soaking some of her biscuits/nuggets in water to make them soft for her. Don't suppose you have a syringe to feed her it through? We had a science supreme recovery sachet thing to feed her with.

Maisy also ate damped dandelion leaves.

She might need time but obviously you don't want to leave it too long.
Hopefully im helping, but im not an expert :wave:

I wouldn't syringe feed her unless you vet says it is OK to do so just in case their is a blockage or obstruction.

Maybe phone the vets and see what they say?

I wouldn't syringe feed her unless you vet says it is OK to do so just in case their is a blockage or obstruction.

Maybe phone the vets and see what they say?

This is good advise and deffo something to consider.
However, I was given a spare packet of the syringe feed and told by my vet that its always a good thing to have because if one of my bunnies stops eating I can syringe feed them until i can get them to see her.
Will bare this in mind

This is good advise and deffo something to consider.
However, I was given a spare packet of the syringe feed and told by my vet that its always a good thing to have because if one of my bunnies stops eating I can syringe feed them until i can get them to see her.
Will bare this in mind

I do always think it's best to get veterinary advice before opting for syringe feed. Yes, it is a great thing to keep in the house but I would want the vet to rule out a blockage or obstruction first.

Fluids are always important so I would say to the OP to make sure Flo is well hydrated. Cooled boiled water can be syringed as long as it doesn't stress her too much.

Please help!
My rabbit, Flo, has stopped eating tonight. On the advice of the emergency vets she was taken in and given gut stimulant and pain relief, she was also given an antibiotic as the vet believes she has an infection. We have been home for an hour now and although she has had a drink, she still hasn't eaten anything (and we've tried tempting her with all her favourite foods) or been to the toilet. The vet said to take her back if there was no change overnight. Has anyone got any advice for what we could do to encourage her to start eating/ pooing?
Many thanks in advance
Sam xx

Did the vet have any clue as to why she has stopped eating?

How does she seem in herself? Is she lethargic at all?

If she were my bunny, I think I would take her back if she doesn't improve in the next hour or so (sooner if she is showing signs of pain - tooth grinding / hunched up / pressing tummy to floor etc)

I have had some bad experiences with bunnies who have stopped eating so I always think it's better to air on the side of caution.

Best of luck :wave:

Oh dear i've been here!! All i could do to tempt mine was fresh herbs, dandelion, and...er...naughty treats...digestive biscuit! :roll: Only a small bit though. Its sooo worrying when they stop eating, i always think the worst. This happened to my bunny after her spey. Hope bunny starts eating soon x x x

Have tried all your suggestions - mashed up pellets in water but with no luck. We are trying to make her move but am worrying it is stressing her out a bit. She seems reluctant to move and in pain so think ringing the vets again is my only option :cry:

Have tried all your suggestions - mashed up pellets in water but with no luck. We are trying to make her move but am worrying it is stressing her out a bit. She seems reluctant to move and in pain so think ringing the vets again is my only option :cry:

I think you're right.

Eating a pooing vibes coming your way. xxx

Syringing fluids is very important. I've known a bunny gut suddenly gurgle into life while I've been syringing fluids before. Boiled water that's just slightly warm is good. Also peppermint tea.

Possibly the bun hasn't had enough pain relief, but the vet may say it's too early to panic yet.

Best of luck to you. I know how stressed you must be!

I had a similar problem with Bramble a couple of weeks ago. Luckily he started eating as soon as he got home from the vets. Our vet said to try some fruity baby foods, maybe worth a try if you have any or can get some. I would definately contact the vet again and see what they say.

Yes i agree with giving fluids but maybe a call/visit to vet is what you need. Our little bunny friends can deteriorate so quickly. Your quick actions can make al the difference. Hope Flo picks up x x x

Cant give any better advice than what everyone else has been saying. just thought i'd send some vibes your way.

xxx

We took flo back to the vets last night and they wanted to keep her in. We have rung a couple of times this morning and the vet said she had eaten a little hay and drunk some water. Some poos and wees too. They also said she seems quite bright in herself. We are now waiting for the morning shift vet to take a look before they ring us again. Have been out and bought all her favourite treats to tempt her (hopefully). Thank you all so muchfor your help, it means a lot. I just hope I can bring her home soon.
xxx

Aww I'm glad she's ok, its a very good sign that she's even attempting to eat hay and that she has pooed!

You might have to carry on with a few different gut stimulants (I had to for a few days) And if they don't mention it it's always worth asking.. I don't think it would do her any harm to carry on with them at home until she is eating lots more. Also ask if you need to carry on with pain relief.

Hope all goes well!

Back