• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moody/aggression - long post, need advice

Rachie

Mama Doe
This has taken me a long time to ask for advice on because I feel like it's somehow my fault and I hope I won't be judged on it. I'm in no way suggesting that I don't care or love either of them but I don't think it's 'right'.

Right, here goes, bit of background: I had Oliver on his own for 6 months, during which time he was a super fussy bunny, he loved attention from us, didn't like being picked up, but thats fine. I got him neutered and got him a wifey bun. Ebbie has always been quite skittish and flighty (not sure why, she was born in rescue and came to us when she was approx 5months old) but the pair of them seemed to get on well together so I haven't worried about her too much. She's difficult to pick up but if I've caught her off guard and managed to pick her up (therefore avoiding a chase and stressing her out) then she loves being stroked.

We moved house in October last year, we initially gave them the run of all three floors, then restricted it to two floors to keep them out of our bedroom. The pair of them chose to spend all their time upstairs on the first floor, but on their own though and away from us and we decided eventually to restrict their access to the ground floor only so they'd interact with us more as their behaviour was becoming increasingly 'wild'.

Oliver will still come for a fuss, but not as much as when he was a single bun, but Ebbie not only isn't keen on being fussed now but is forever stamping at us and shooting off at lightening speed - I'm concerned she's going to hurt herself one day but being so flighty. Also the dynamics of their relationship seemed to have changed. They snuggle together but they seem to have issues over food. Ebs gets very aggressive with Oliver and often growls and lunges at him. I've tried to scatter feed instead of hand feeding etc, they both seem to want only what the other one is eating when their is plenty to go around; even when their in their litter tray and there is no end of hay. They also tend to have a bit of a chase of each other when it comes to food too. I'm really worried that they're going to have a massive fall out and the bond will break.

I just want some advice as I'm getting so worried about them, more so Ebbie's behaviour than Olivers but I guess it takes two to tango. I feel like such a bad bunny mummy, I just want the best for them :(

Have they both had a full health check recently?

How about having them in the living room with you guys and going back to scratch with how you bond with them?

I get the impression that when a rabbit has a partner they perhaps don't look to humans for interaction as much as they did previously.

I can only suggest that you maybe try 're-bonding them' although they haven't actually fallen out yet. Confine them to a smaller space, closely supervised, maybe take them for a car ride to make them snuggle.

I don't think it's your fault. It just sounds like natural rabbit behaviour. We have a friendly one and a timid one that runs off when you try to stroke them - no idea why, it's just seems to be Misty's nature to be scared of people.

Have they both had a full health check recently?

How about having them in the living room with you guys and going back to scratch with how you bond with them?

Yes, they both tend to go to the vet every 3 monthsish. I generally take them both together when one is due a myxi vaccination. Oliver is due his so they're both going in next week. I worry about their nails getting too long as they're house buns

I'm slightly reluctant to move their main litter tray into the living room which has carpet. It's in the dining room at the moment, which is tiled, that aside though, I'd want to move them back into the dining room when we go to bed so I'm worried they'd get confused if that makes sense? My OH says that I give them too much room to roam (they free range all the time) and thats why they avoid us so maybe I need to block off some of the living room/kitchen and sit with them in there?

I try to bond with them with the hand feeding but it just seems to cause them to fight even more :(

I know partly what you are talking about:)

Sally was from a rescue and she has never been as "friendly" as Feegal. I think that solitary buns often build up a stronger rapport with humans than bonded buns. Also rescue buns cant possibly get as much human interaction as pet ones, so they will find it harder to tame.

When you say they fight over food, do you mean chasing, honking and just a complete lack of respect for each other? Because Sally and Feegal are like that, Sally also steals hay straight from Feegals mouth, but he doesn't seem to mind too much. If it is just what mine do, I would not worry and feed them all tasty food by hand. That way they will learn to be happy to see you. Obviously if it is worse than I described then I dont know as I have not encountered that.

I do think the way forward is to restrict their space, and then Ebbie will have to tame as she wont be able to run away from you.

Its a tricky one, but I want you to KNOW that you sound like a fantastic bunny mummy:love:

When you say they fight over food, do you mean chasing, honking and just a complete lack of respect for each other?

No, I mean actual growling and lunging, from Ebony - Oliver is too docile for these things :lol: Thankfully the chasing hasn't escalated into a big fight but they did have a series of HUGE fall outs last year (apparently over nothing, I think it was because I was upsetting them by packing the last house away ready to move)

I have a big 8 sided pen. I have 3 panels outside to block off the bottom of the garden gate (so they can have free run of the garden too) but I'm sure I could do something with the rest of them. I much prefer to sit upstairs in our room when I'm on my own but I feel I ought to sit downstairs with them so they're not on their own (which doesn't happen very often - I barely work)

Back