• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bee/wasp sting in Oscars eye?

xEmily

Mama Doe
Earlier this afternoon Oscar went out into the garden and I think he was stung by a wasp or bee, he suddenly jumped and started frantically scratching at this face and jumping around.

His eye is really swollen now, and looks really sore. It's not closed up but I can see a lot of the pink tissue around his eye, and it looks like it's weeping a bit. Our vet is closed right now, is it worth taking him to an emergency vets, or should I try and ring up for some advice, or is it best to leave it and see how he is tomorrow?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Given its his eye, I think its smart to call the emergency vet. He will, at the very least, need pain meds.

I'd definately get him to a vets asap as the pain will be excruciating if it is a wasp sting, and eyes are very delicate.

Keep us posted how he goes...

Rung up the emergency vets who told us to bring him in, with a consultation fee of £95 :shock:

Our vets have emergency clinic between 6 and 6.30 tonight so we are taking him to that in the hopes it might be a bit cheaper! My mum nearly fainted when I told her the price, after paying out for Polly at the vets yesterday I think she was hoping there would be no vet trips for a while!

Took him to the vets, poor Oscar was trembling the whole way there and back again! The vet looked at it, said he was sure it was just a wasp sting, couldn't find any remains of a sting so gave him an injection and said he would be fine in the morning. He doesn't seem bothered by it anyway! It's like animal hospital at ours right now haha

Glad he's ok.

I remember my daughter being stung in the mouth and she was in agony. Anywhere else on the body (obv. not the eye!) and you can put vinegar on a sting as the acid balances the strong alkaline in the sting which makes it so painful, and the quicker you can get the vinegar on the less painful the sting develops.

Back