• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - odd bonding behaviour

bunnylover177

Alpha Buck
I have Gizmeo and Arwen inside attempting a bond. They are in a 4 ft square cage in the dining room which is neutral territory. In the first hour we had a bit of scuffling and hair pulling - pretty normal. For the last three hours they have followed this pattern: Arwen apporaches Gizmo, he stomps hard and runs away. She tries about every 10mins. She has her head down in submissive posture and is, by now, approaching very gently but he is not having it - stomp - run to opposite side of cage. Gizmo lost his mate Treacle about 2 weeks ago and he seems lonely so it is not that. Has anyone any ideas? What should I do next? :?:?

That actually sounds like dominant behaviour because her head down means she wants him to groom her, which is a sign of wanting to be dominant. Maybe he is telling her no chance, on that issue.

I have Gizmeo and Arwen inside attempting a bond. They are in a 4 ft square cage in the dining room which is neutral territory. In the first hour we had a bit of scuffling and hair pulling - pretty normal. For the last three hours they have followed this pattern: Arwen apporaches Gizmo, he stomps hard and runs away. She tries about every 10mins. She has her head down in submissive posture and is, by now, approaching very gently but he is not having it - stomp - run to opposite side of cage. Gizmo lost his mate Treacle about 2 weeks ago and he seems lonely so it is not that. Has anyone any ideas? What should I do next? :?:?

Puy them in a small box, neutal territory virtually no space until they get to know each other,grooming etc. Once they are okay with this, make the space bigger and let them do the chasing thing again etc. I have two unneutered males that became friends like this. They don't live together. I just do there meds together, supervised. It is a good way of getting them accustomed to each other first. I did this with my other lot, put them in a dog crate, small so they had hardly any room. Four foot space might be too much to start :) Just a suggestion.

Ambience x

Sound like pretty normal bonding behaviour to me! I would try halving the space, I think 4*4 is too much to start off with. If they have less space he won't be able to run away and will hopefully learn quickly that she's just coming to say 'hello' and he doesn't need to be frightened :)

Thanks - off to half the space - I'll let you know how that goes! And yes, of course you're right about the head lowered thing! Three cheers for the forum!

They've now been in 2sq feet for 45 mns. For all that time he has been sitting with his nose in the corner and his back to her. She is lying stretched full out using his rear end as a pillow:roll: It looks funny but I am aware that he seems very stressed and is breathing very fast and that both buns have not pooed or peed from 10 this morning when I started. How long should I keep this going. We're going out at 6 tonight so it can't be indefinetly. Is it time to give up either permanently or for today - I thought we'd have a clearer result by now!

They've now been in 2sq feet for 45 mns. For all that time he has been sitting with his nose in the corner and his back to her. She is lying stretched full out using his rear end as a pillow:roll: It looks funny but I am aware that he seems very stressed and is breathing very fast and that both buns have not pooed or peed from 10 this morning when I started. How long should I keep this going. We're going out at 6 tonight so it can't be indefinetly. Is it time to give up either permanently or for today - I thought we'd have a clearer result by now!

Please don't give up permanently! It sounds like it's going perfectly normally and just as I'd expect for now...no fights, and tolerating each other nearby sounds very normal. They sound as if they don't dislike each other, they just need time to understand and trust each other. Maybe now is the time to throw in some fresh hay and treats, that might perk them up a bit and get them nomming and pooing. Some buns are also a bit funny about going to the loo outside of their normal litter box, so although it's not ideal, once you get them eating it might be worth trying to pop a box in there (carefully though in case they fight over it) and see if they will release a whole load of them!

Shame you're going out tonight really, don't suppose there's any way round that is there? Ideally I don't think they should be split up, but then I wouldn't go out and leave them either. But even if you do have to split them again this evening, definitely don't give up because it sounds as if it's going brilliantly and I'd say that what you've described so far is normal and an indication that the clear result will be success in a few days time. Are you around all day tomorrow? Could you put them back together tonight when you get home and stay with them overnight (e.g. sleep downstairs with them or have them in your room). Quite often they really settle overnight and are much better the next morning - but still need a good week or so to consolidate it.

Good luck x

Thanks Santa - I've been a bit dim about this - it's been years since I tried a rabbit bond myself. I think you're right about it going well - afterall they are not taking chunks out of each other! I have had to seperate them for the night but I'm in all day tomorrow and will start early. I think it is going to be OK

If they have been together for that length of time and not had or attempted a fight, I'd say that's pretty good going.

I put them back together at 11 this morning and they resumed exactly the same positions as they'd had the night before:lol: He has spend several hours with his nose in the corner and his back to her while she used his behind as a pillow - I think she was asleep at one point! He relaxed and lay donw eventually but really doesn't want know despite her licking him at one point - a very stubborn chap! She pounces on any food we put in (she loves her grub, just like me) but so far he will not eat when she is there - she is not chasing him off the food which I have put right under his nose while she is munching other food. I put food in while I had her out cleaning her eyeducts and giving her medication and he started eating at top speed- the minute I put her in he stopped eating. I'm worried aobut GI statis if he keeps this up - has anyone any advice?
I'll sleep with them tonight and OH has arranged to work from home tomorrow - all becuase of one little furry bun!

Back