• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit freaking out for no apparent reason?

BattleKat

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday when I went to give the bunnehs some hay Eli was just going mental.

he's usually really cuddly and affectionate, always comes over to greet me and really gets under my feet but yesterday he was running away from me at full pelt, banging in to walls and burying his face in hay. It was every time I moved.

my boyfriend had fed them an hour before and said they were fine. When I opened the door to the shed Eli was just flopped out chilling with lola, and when I went to see then half an hour later he was fine and came over for a head rub.

does anyone know what this might have been?

Maybe a visiting cat?
Was it very windy by you yesterday, as that tends to freak out my bunnies....

It definitely sounds like a panicked rabbit but working out what set him off is probably difficult. It might be something ours ears/eyes/nose can't pick up. Scamp did it the other days, totally freaked out, raced around the kitchen a few times, through his tunnels, tried for the veg rack, didn't make it and then jumped the 4' baby gate to go hide in the lounge.

You can't reason with them in that state of mind. They will be looking for cover so best option is to let them get it asap and leave them to calm down.

That's why it's really important they always have somewhere to hide. Scamp had eaten half of his hiding box so obviously decided it didn't provide enough cover for him to feel safe.

You can't reason with them in that state of mind. They will be looking for cover so best option is to let them get it asap and leave them to calm down.

That's why it's really important they always have somewhere to hide. Scamp had eaten half of his hiding box so obviously decided it didn't provide enough cover for him to feel safe.
yeah I didn't try to approach him or anything, just picked up some things I needed to take out and left. I was deliberately moving very slowly and out of his way.

unfortunately because they're a newly bonded trio I haven't felt ready to put in anything one could corner another one in so all they had was a few tunnels and a large box with two entrances. Probably made the whole situation worse.

It was horrible, I was so glad he was ok when I went back :(

Back