• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eating Normal Poos

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
I am sure there was a thread about this recently but I cant find it so sorry to start my own one.

I noticed the other day that my new adopted bun Kenco was eating his normal poos...whats that all about? :?

I dont know sorry but ive seen sooty doing this aswell, I meant to ask this question myself so ill be waiting for a reply too..

I think there can be a variety of reasons. It can be a sign that the rabbit is feeling physically rubbish (not sure why they do it though). It can also be a behaviour thing, and they might do it when feeling insecure, scared, or just a learnt behaviour- say if they have been deprived of food at some point in their life.

Thanks Sky-O. Do you think it is anything to worry about? He is new (week or two) to our home and has only been bonded with Fay a couple of weeks, so maybe its to do with that. He is also a dental bunny so I dont know if its related to that. He doesnt seem to be doing it much but I have noticed twice now so just thought I should ask.

Bailey does it sometimes, i wouldnt worry i took it to be more of a past time as such for the bunny rather an a problem. Bailey doesnt do it very often and i havent seen her do it for a month or two and she hasnt got any health issues that would relate back to it :)

Floppy used to do this alot and she had bad tooth root problems. I did a thread about this recently and someone posted that rabbits can do this when they have a sore mouth. So it could be due to her dental issues.

Selina only does this when she is out - if she is on my desk or sofa, sometimes she will eat one of her poos. Not many though as I still find them when I pick her up but still its weird :?

My newest bun Aubrey did this when I first got him.
As he was a foundling he would fit into one of the suggestions made by Sky-O
as he was food deprived while he was straying.
He stopped once he realised the hay & food were not going to run out. :)

My Inca does this if she poo's when i let her out in the living room. It's like she doesnt want to mess the living room!

When they are i their own room she makes a mess and doesnt bother tidying up!

I have seen Tulip do this a few times, she has pneumonia and was almost certainly with out food at times in her last home. She is also underweight, but gaining.

I have never seen any other bun do this.

Nino does it sometimes, in fact some of his caecotrophs are just softer droppings and not actual caecotrophs.... chewy! :mrgreen::lol:

It's nothing to worry about Helen in terms of ingesting them, they are nothing but waste poops with very little bacteria, but as others have suggested it may be indicative of something underlying... or it could be purely behavioural. Are his dental issues well managed?

Back