• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I....?

Toad

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone :wave:
As you may know we lost our little Dexter this week :cry:

Today I thought I would go to my local sanctuary and see the situation for rabbits needing a new home. There were so many, all different shapes, sizes, temperments, I ended up just wanting to take them all home!

However, there are 2 sisters I saw that are continental giants x french giant? They were not entierly sure? They are 5 months old and beautiful!

They are being spayed and vaccinated next week at the sanctury and will be ready to rehome in a few weeks.

They have been rehomed previously but a lady brought them back because she said they were fighting? The lady at the sanctury said there was not a mark on them and thought she was using it as an excuss to bring them back. One of the sisters is very inquisitive and the other is a bit more subdued.

I would like to bring one of them home as I dont feel my hutch is big enough for both of them when they are fully grown? I'm not sure though?

thehutch.jpg

The hutch is about 8 foot x 3/4 foot x 3 foot. The run coming off it about 7/8 feet (thinking about making it taller)? They would also get about 4hours free ranging time a day in the garden.

I feel personally that I would not want two giants in this hutch. Should I split up sisters? Would it be better to rehome one rather than none? Or is it best to not rehome them if they were going to be split up? Should I get a sister a little husbun in time? Is it normal that one rabbit is much more inquisitive than the other? Is there a possibily that they will fight? :?

Confused.com!!:shock:

I feel personally that I would not want two giants in this hutch. Should I split up sisters? Would it be better to rehome one rather than none? Or is it best to not rehome them if they were going to be split up? Should I get a sister a little husbun in time? Is it normal that one rabbit is much more inquisitive than the other? Is there a possibily that they will fight? :?

:wave: So sorry you lost your bun :(

Please don't split up a bonded pair, rabbits are social animals so it is kinder to keep them in pairs anyway (especially if they are outside as they will spend most of their time alone) but it would be extremely unkind to separate a pair that are already together. I would be surprised if a rescue would let you do that as well to be honest!

It is not unusual for unspayed female rabbits to fight but if they get through their spays ok, once the hormones have settled down they should be fine. Neutered bonded pairs very rarely fall out. It's quite normal for buns to have very different personalities - after all, I'm sure you know plenty of human brothers and sisters who are very different. Bunnies are no different :)

My personal feeling is that if accommodation isn't big enough for 2 giant rabbits, then it's not big enough for one either, as they need lots of room to stretch and move around - so maybe a pair of smaller rabbits might be better? That way they would have each other for company and could still enjoy all that lovely space you have there :) Alternatively, could you alter the run to make it an aviary style covering that whole part in front of the hutch. If you make it high enough for you to walk in as well, it would give a really good space for 2 large bunnies.

Good luck x

Last edited:
Thanks Santa :wave:

You pretty much confired my thoughts. I am waiting to have a home visit next week to see if I am a suitable bunny mum. There are so many rabbits in the sanctury with behavioural problems and health problems. I really want to give a rabbit the best home, I'm not sure I am experienced enough bunny mum to look after rabbits that need extra special experienced care. Not there fault at all! I just need a rabbit that will put up with my inexperience for a little while :)

Maybe I will be asking my partner to get his tool kit out again and do an extention on the hutch? :D

The hutch part sounds fine, a run should be 3ft high for giants and while 8ft is a good length it doesn't look very wide, I'm guessing 3ft? you could make it twice as wide with relatively few materials as all you'd need is an extra end panel and something for the roof.

If you really want them then make it happen! ask the rescue what their requirements would be for someone who wants to take them home and see if it's feasible for you.

edit: I wouldn't split them, and doubt the rescue would let you. two giants won't need all that much more space than one. same with regular bunnies.

Thanks guys for your posts. :wave:

There are a few other single buns I like aswell that are not going to be anywhere near the size of a giant rabbit. The rescue centre said that they would be happy to bond a pair.

There was a lion head young male called Rooney :roll: that was lovely. They dont know how old he is, but around a year. He looked so loney in his big pen all alone. He has already been nutered so perhaps I could find him a girlfriend to come and live in Dexters house? :D

Rooney.jpg

This is Rooney. He is much bigger than he looks in this picture, so he must have been at the sanctury a while now :(

Back