• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weighing scales for rabbits and guinea pigs

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
I've never had a decent set of scales, and I'm thinking maybe I ought to splash out... Particularly since I'm weighing piggies daily at the moment! Presumably it's baby scales I need.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. :)

:wave:

Actually I'd just go for digital kitchen scales. The baby scales I have are much less accurate as they weigh in 10g increments whereas my kitchen ones weigh in 1g increment so they are much better when small fluctuations can make a big difference. Also the baby scales are designed to weigh accurately with a baby lying on its back, I find that the reading varies tremendously depending on how the animal is placed on the scales. I can check Santa's weight much more easily and cheaply on a pair of Argos digital scales :)

Edit: something like this looks good as it is in 1g and has a nice large flat base: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8430029/Trail/searchtext>KITCHEN+SCALES.htm

Last edited:
Oh how interesting, thanks. The ones they use at the vets seem to come up quite different to what we come up with. Do you find that? Obviously allowing for fluctuations in timing etc.

My current scales are digital, but they are quite small. What scales have you found that you can fit a bunny on?

Mine weigh about 10g higher than the vets ones. I just have regular small kitchen scales with a little round base. For Santa I just plop her on the base, she just about fits :lol: For bigger bunnehs I put a container on top of it, then zero it and then weigh. The one I've linked to when I edited above looks pretty good, as it looks as if it has a good sized base to start off with :)

Thanks v much - that's so helpful. Will look around for some good 'uns. The ones I've got at the moment are a bit rickety, and I have to put a container on the top and zero it, so the results can be a bit variable.

My bathroom scales weigh in 1/4lbs I think.
I put a box on them before I turn them on so they weigh that as nothing and then plonk the animal in the box. voila :)

I use kitchen scales for the guinea pigs. They just sit there, they don't even bother moving. Getting scales with a tare function is really helpful - then you can put them into a tub if you need to. Charlee & Noah (buns) don't fit on them though (even though they are small buns - nethie and dwarf lop x). My vet has baby scales - they would be really good for weighing rabbits.

Does anyone weigh their buns regulary? I weigh the guinea pigs every week, mainly because they are soo good at hiding illness, and often weight loss is the first indication that something is wrong. But with both buns not very approving of the whole idea, and the scales a little small - it makes for a very tough job.

Does anyone weigh their buns regulary? I weigh the guinea pigs every week, mainly because they are soo good at hiding illness, and often weight loss is the first indication that something is wrong. But with both buns not very approving of the whole idea, and the scales a little small - it makes for a very tough job.

The vet checks my buns weight whenever they're in, whatever reason they're in for.

I have never successfully managed to weigh them at home....way to jumpy!!!!

The pigs sit still, tho - too much effort to move :lol:

I've weighed each of them a few times but it's not a regular thing. I like to think there are things I would pick up on (not eating, hunched up stance, etc) that would let me know if they were under the weather. With your rabbits being indoors I think you'd probably notice any problems very quickly so I wouldn't worry too much.

I weigh Santa at least weekly because often the first sign of her developing a bad snuffly bout is weight loss, before she has any outward signs. The others are weighed, but less often - maybe between 2-4 weekly.

Weight loss in buns can be an early sign of underlying problems ranging from dental issues and infections right through to cancer or coccidiosis so it's not a bad idea to weigh them regularly. At least that way you stand more chance of picking something up early. My vet suggests that any 3 weight losses in a row or any loss of more than 5% normal should be given a check up even if there are no other signs.

I weigh mine every fortnight and keep a spreadsheet of it :oops: My first rabbit, Poppy, got very underweight and I didn't realise because if you see someone every day it's hard to spot gradual changes :( By the time I'd realised how poorly she was it was too late :(

Also it's for my own peace of mind - sometimes I'm convinced Apache is totally emaciated then when I weigh him he's actually put on :roll:

Back