• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homecheck question?

cloughie

Banned
Sorry I know this has been asked a thousand times before :oops:

What do rescues look for in potential owners for their rescue buns? Aside from being able to care for the rabbit in every possible way, if there are children around etc etc

Is a 4x4ft playhouse with 24/7 acces to a 6x4ft run suitable housing for 2 buns?

Do they look at what the garden is like?

My beloved baby bun Harley unfortunately escaped the other day and is no where to be seen. If after a few weeks he doesn't show up then I'd be thinking about getting a rescue bun as a new companion for my other bun, Pebbles...and just keep hopng that Harley will still show up one day :(

I'm just looking into things now so I know what to expect should it come to this and of course its good to know anyways.

the size of your set up sounds ok for two smallish buns
The only thing I can add is as Harely escaped, and I'm so sorry he hasn't turned up,, or was stolen..then you would need to look at security

Also general stuff like do you know about the importance of hay, what vet you use, vaccination certificates from any existing buns etc, any other animals - whether they could be a threat to the buns and what general condition they are in etc.

Whenever I've homechecked, I've basically gone along with the thought in my head 'would I be happy to leave my own rabbits here' and if I've had any niggles, tried to unpick what is making me uncomfortable. Sometimes those things are solveable and sometimes they're not, but often as well as the physical environment I find it's a case of whether an owner is willing to learn and be open to suggestions.

I really hope you don't need to know this and that Harley turns up xxx

Well rescues vary in their requirements...so you would be best off phoning the rescue of your choice and saying, hello I would like to adopt a rabbit, what are the standards you require in a potential home. They're not out to trick you after all. :)

I really hope Harley turns up though...best of luck xx

Thank you for your replies :) hopefully should it come to rescuing a bun then I would be suitable.

Jill - completely my fault that he escaped...I blocked the underneath of the hutch up with bricks, which wedge in tightly so I never thought they'd be able to push them away...sadly I was wrong :(. Security will definitely be high on the list with the new set up

Hi Sian, feel free to call/email me or pop round for a chat.
Hope little Harley turns up soon :( Has there been any signs of him being back at all?

Hi Sian, feel free to call/email me or pop round for a chat.
Hope little Harley turns up soon :( Has there been any signs of him being back at all?

Thanks Kris :)

No sign of my lil munchkin unfortunately...all I have seen in a neigbouring is a few piles of fluff...I dunno whether this could mean he has been attacked by something? he is moulting loads so this could be fur that comes loose as he has gone through bushes (loads of it in the neighbours garden) or just fluff I have brushed from him previously (which I tend to chuck in my neighbours garden for this birds).

In my sig is a link to my website. On it is a page about what we look for in accommodation at a home visit. This is based only on what RSPCA Suffolk East and Ipswich Branch look for. It might be helpful though :)

Get in touch with various rescues - they all have different requirements.
I don't think my local rspca would home to that as the run is too small but most branches only require 6x4.

I had a homecheck earlier this year when I took on Cloud from the RSPCA. The man was really nice but he didn't really ask that many questions (probably because I was in motor-mouth mode and had already told him everything befor he'd even stepped in the door! :lol: I think I also distracted him by offering him a cuddle with Thistle, it's hard to use your brain and hold onto a big wiggly conti :lol:).

He looked at the indoor set up I had ready for Cloud (this was her home until I could bond her). I had my playhouse on order but it hadn't turned up yet so he looked at what I'd ordered and checked my receipt so he knew it was on the way and he looked at all my other bunnies - I guess to see how I was keeping them, what I was feeding them, if they looked healthy etc.

I was really worried about it as the garden was waterlogged and I'd had to dismantle Barley's run because the rain had rotted the bottom. I'd also only had half an hours warning (he'd arranged a time with my Mum whilst I was at work) so I hadn't had time to clean out the litter trays and sweep that day.

It went fine though and the man was really nice. I think even if they decided you weren't suitable, they wouldn't be at all rude, they'd just give you some tips for improving what you've got. :) I should think most rescues will be happy to rehome to a playhouse with attached run though. :)

Back