• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Polly :( vibes?

xEmily

Mama Doe
Things aren't looking too great for her at the moment... If you don't already know, she had her back leg amputated at Christmas and has been getting on fine since then, until yesterday. There was a cat in the garden which spooked her, and as soon as I opened the front door she bolted straight inside, across the tiled floor (which she never steps on as she can't keep her balance on slippy surfaces) and behind a sofa.

She seems to have injured her remaining back leg and is not walking properly, she went to the vets today who said there was no broken bones, but some swelling of her knee. She has been given an anti-inflammitory injection and has to be confined to her cage. Obviously if she doesn't improve she will have to be put down, as she can't take any of her weight on a different leg to rest it.

So just crossing my fingers :(

Aw, poor girlie. Have you been given painkillers to give her at home?

Hopefully not moving about will help her injury to heal quickly.

Sky-O, no we haven't (I didn't go to the vets, my mum took her, we were all really upset thinking that she would be PTS when we got there, I think mum was so relieved to hear there was a chance for her she didn't even think). I know rabbits are very good at hiding pain but it doesn't seem to be bothering her that much, first noticed last night when she was running around, doesn't seem to be making less effort to move, it's just she is slightly dragging her leg. She's eating fine too. I think I will see how she is tomorrow and try and get some metacam for her.

Sky-O, no we haven't (I didn't go to the vets, my mum took her, we were all really upset thinking that she would be PTS when we got there, I think mum was so relieved to hear there was a chance for her she didn't even think). I know rabbits are very good at hiding pain but it doesn't seem to be bothering her that much, first noticed last night when she was running around, doesn't seem to be making less effort to move, it's just she is slightly dragging her leg. She's eating fine too. I think I will see how she is tomorrow and try and get some metacam for her.

If she has a soft tissue injury then the fact Metacam is an anti-inflammatory should help it heal faster. Definitely get some tomorrow if you can :)

Thanks for the vibes everyone :) My mum just told me that the vet is feeling quite confident that it's just a minor injury and she should recover hopefully, so that makes me a bit more hopeful.

Apparently Polly is quite famous amongst the staff at the vets, they are the vets who recommended we put her to sleep when she first broke her leg as they had never heard of a rabbit coping without a back leg. We saw another vets who did the amputation, but the vets here have said they have learnt quite a lot from Polly so it's nice to know that any other rabbits with broken back legs wont be put to sleep if the leg can't be fixed :)

Back