• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how long for fur regrowth?

sdf76

Mama Doe
How long does it take for buns fur to grow back after being shaved for an op?

( Have had buns spayed before quite a time ago and can't remember-plus that was underneath)-this is side and back.
Just wondering as can't let Coco out in the sun till fur grows because of risk of sunburn
sue:wave:

seems like anything from 2months to 8 months on other sites so guess it will be about4-6months?:( hopefully before winter. sue:wave:

Last edited:
It depends on when their next moult is, how close they were shaved, how they were shaved, where it is, etc.

Sunny grew her spay fur back within 10 days (literally, you would have not had any idea). Sandy, who was spayed the same day took over a year.

I wonder if there is something rabbit safe you could put in the saved bit to protect it from the sun? That way maybe she could go out for a short while. Where is the shaved area?

Side and part of back to remove a large(benign) lump, just over a week ago.

He has a small heart-shaped piece of black skin that has started to sprout fur already but the white skin is bald.
Thanks for your reply- I guess it just depends on the rabbit then to a great extent.
I've not heard of rabbit suncream but would be wary of putting anything on there- would rather just keep him out of the sun. Coco tends to lie in the shade anyway as I think his thick black fur makes him hot.

I have made a temporary sun-free walkway with bedsheets from the back door into the run. I think I will have to get the gazebos up for shade in the small garden leading from the run, if its going to be months-but it was too windy today. (Coco is allowed to jump again from Monday so we will put the ramps back in the run and rabbit room then).
sue:wave:

Back