• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Older rabbits and vacinations

alisont

Mama Doe
Hi

How do people find their rabbits get on with injections when they are older?

Leo bunny is booked in for a bunny MOT at the vets Monday - claw trim (as I hate doing it) and myxi/VHD.

I've had Leo for years now and he is only just beginning to show the older bunny signs - Ive never kept a bunny past 6 before but he's 13 now and still going strong:) he has 'slowed down' a bit now but still appears in good health and is getting more soppy in his old age.

My vets are ok with rodents - I have to go there as I dont drive so this one is very local. Have asked to see one of the more senior vets.

Just wondered if there are side effects to look out for?

Thanks Alison

The oldest bun I've had so far is Benji, our first bun who was a wildie, he lived to the age of 9. He never had any problems with his vaccination.
The only other thing I can add is that I had a lot of old cats and dogs who get vaccinated yearly and have never had any issues- many only start their vaccinations when they come here- the oldest being an 18 year old cat, she is due her next vaccine next month and she will be 21.:)

generally as long as he's in good health at the time of vaccination their shouldn't be a problem especially if he's never had a problem before.

There are two types of VHD jab as I guess you know, so say which one you want.

I would think if the bunny is 13yrs and not had any reaction up to now no reason to suspect he would have any at the different vets unless they give a different injection.
My bunny Chelsea lived to 11 and a half- she had Lapinject VHD.

She did get (nodular) myxi a week before her booster myxi jab (aged 9yrs)though so maybe their immune system isn't as strong? (Though there were masses more mozzies that year due to local floods) She recovered from myxi though:) We did the myxi jabs twice a year as our area is high-risk for myxi.
sue:wave:

Thanks for the info:)

Leo had his myxi jab last night and never flinched, his first jab so was pleased how he reacted. Vet said he might go off his food but he was straight into his dinner when we got home.

He is booked in for VHD in 2 weeks time - this is the one Im most concerned about side effects with and the fact of his age.

Ive never had rabbits done in the past for VHD/myxi - basically I did not know much about it and did not realise the importance of it but having read up on here and spoken to people who have nursed rabbits with myxi Ive been giving a lot of thought to it.

Touch wood we have not had any problems with any rabbits in the past but a fox has been seen recently in our road and we have had rats in the garden and cats now we dont have a dog. Vets have noticed an increase in both Myxi and VHD cases. Leo is going to pet boarding next month and the boarding Ive found that looks/sounds fab is insistant on VHD/Myxi (my other boarders in the past have never asked)

Vets are confident about Leo having VHD at 13, Im still not sure about it but at the mo he is booked in.

If I get any future rabbits they will be kept up to date and have informed next door who have 4 young bunnies about getting them vaccinated.

So Im hoping things will go ok - just hope Im doing the right thing for Leo and that he will not react to the vaccination. Got 2 weeks to decide and read up a bit more.

Vaccinations accommodate a controllable anatomy of the virus which causes that accurate disease.

The anesthetic works by aesthetic the antibodies to set up a careful awning adjoin the disease. This careful acknowledgment is remembered and triggered whenever the aerial encounters the disease.

Indeed. :roll:

I like spam, with green eggs and ham.

wow 13 :D thats great!

i have my 9 yeas old. who missed his myxi vacc last month as he has sooo many things wrong with him im not sure his body could take a dose of myxi.
but im sure if the bunny is healthy then should be no worries

Back