• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

red sore ankles

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
Hello...

Since moving house Bailey has completley forgoten her litter training, i havent worried to much about it as im moving again in a month and thought we'd just start afresh then, but lastnight i noticed her feet and ankles were soaking wet with wee and that her fur has started to bald away slighley at the ankles and the skin is looking rather red, im assuming that this is a slight bit of urine scold...
I gave her feet a wash in warm water and they seem to be loads better today, I dont feel its serious enough to take her to the vets at the moment unless it gets worse, ive heard sudacrem can be good to soothe and protect things like this, just wondering if im right on this and if so how much to put on, wether its safe for her to lick etc...
Thanks x

Could it also be sore hocks? usually near the heel under the foot.
I'd be careful how it develops. Oscar has developed bare skin but not through urine, but we think it's the concrete run area in his kennel.

Although not bleeding I took him vets and he was given antibiotic with anti-inflammatory. I don't put anything on the bare area as it's dry and want to avoid the skin breaking, whilst it's dry, it has a better chance of healing.
I have also removed shavings and he has fleece's down in the kennel now.

If he's weeing on himself then I'd get him checked by a vet. My paralysed bun wees behind him, and he wees when lying down. (of course he still lies in it sometimes. :roll:) It shoots out behind him with force, so if your buns weeing down his legs then there may be a problem.

You're doing the right thing bathing the red areas, but you could also get some sudocream to put on them.

Make sure he has thick bedding if he doesn't go in his litter tray, to soak it up. Puppy pads, towels and vet bed are good if he's indoors. :)

I did think about sore hocks but there isnt any ulsers etc... her cage is lined with newspaper and she has a habbit or tearing it to bits at night and weeing everywhere then going to sleep in it, as im asleep aswell i dont get to it till the morning and i think by then the damage is done :roll: i think this is due to her not being spayed...which i am planning on having done in the next month;))
i dont think its a medical problem as ive seen her wee and it doesnt go down her legs it shoots out behind her but then tends to not get soaked up and go on her feet a little bit :roll:
Ill be lining her cage with towles tonight and i think giving her a daily foot bath wouldnt hurt ether :)
thanks x

Oscars hocks don't have ulcers. It's the beginning and hopefuly it won't get to that point with the fleece flooring.
Have you tried puppy pads on the floor, to help absorb the urine? I'd also use the litter tray with wood pellets to soak up the urine but with lots of hay on top to help the feet...if you just place hay in the trays and nowhere else it may help the training and the hygiene aspect.
I found that when I layered hay on the flooring all over the kennel the buns poo'd and weed just anywhere, so I scrubbed it all and went back to fleeces and litter trays and just hay in there and hey presto all nice and clean and litter trained buns agin...instantly! :roll: :lol:

I wouldn't just put newspaper on the cage floor if he doesn't use a litter tray, and wees everywhere.
I'd try different things. I think he'd probably rip up puppy pads, but you could put one underneath vetbed.
Have you heard of megazorb. It's really cheap for a huge 85l sack, so even if you cover the whole floor of the cage in a small layer it'd still last you a while.

I'd stick a litter tray in there, and put the majority of his hay in there (on top of megaorb, so he has something to do while he poops! ;)

ive been attempting to re-litter train her and it worked lastnight, i waited for her to wee and wiped it up with tissue then hid it in between the newspaper in the litter tray, coverd with hay and she didnt wee anywhere else lastnight :D
hoping she'll keep this up tonight, the feet look alot better am going to give her a daily footbath and im confident it will clear up x

Back