• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mucky bum

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
Ella my nethie has a bit of a mucky bum at the moment a bit of wee and poo that seems to stick to the fur around her bum, I have tried non fragranced wipes but it is to stuck to remove it. She is fit and well but I just cant shift the dirt from her bum what else can I do/use any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

I'g get some warm water and a cloth and get it damp so you can then start to either comb it out or pick it out.

Clo (nethie) used to often get a sticky bum until I reduced the pellets and carrots (after I found this place ;))

He has a particularly fluffy bum, too, so I'd end up very carefully having to cut the hair short, cos it would get so matted.

I did try him in the bath with an inch of lukewarm water once - boy, I didn't know he could jump so high :shock:

I used to soak cotton wool and hold it to his fur to get the water to soak in, and then the poop would come out a bit easier too.

Good luck :wave:

Clo (nethie) used to often get a sticky bum until I reduced the pellets and carrots (after I found this place ;))

He has a particularly fluffy bum, too, so I'd end up very carefully having to cut the hair short, cos it would get so matted.

I did try him in the bath with an inch of lukewarm water once - boy, I didn't know he could jump so high :shock:

I used to soak cotton wool and hold it to his fur to get the water to soak in, and then the poop would come out a bit easier too.

Good luck :wave:

I tried exactly the same thing(trimming her fur) I haven't tried bathing just her bum though I think I will have to give that a go as well. Good idea about cutting her pellets down I did think about this but haven't done it yet thank you for your help xxxx

matthew and tabitha are so very fluffy, their coats are very dense, that i eventually resorted to a good pair of hairdressing scissors and now trim off any dirty bits. quick, clean, efficient, and they aren't naked underneath.

Gertie's bum has been amazing compared to how it used to be since I switched to mostly Oxbow pellets. :wave:

When Lola had a mucky butt I just soaked a facecloth in warm water and just worked at it. You have to be careful not to pull at it too much as the skin is very delicate. How much pellets do you feed? That's what was giving her a mucky bum.

I used to dunk Gertie's bum in the sink, to soak off the wet bits. Then I tried the cornflour thing, which wasn't great, but ok and didn't make her all wet. I've tried wipes, personally I think they are rubbish because if you're away for a few hours, the stuff is practically welded onto them!
Last weekend her scent glands became blocked and I had the "pleasure" of cleaning her. OMG! That smelled to high Heaven! (I really recommend wearing latex gloves if anyone needs to do this because the smell just would not wash off my hands! :oops::lol:) This time I just slowly picked and "split" messy bits and kept ploughing away with cotton wool soaked in warm cooled boiled water (using cotton buds to clear the glands). If you can get bunny held by someone confident, then it makes it so much less stressful for bun and you can take a bit of time. I'm very lucky that Gert's is a hussy for her daddy and lets him hold her while I am the "lucky" one with the business end! :lol:

Back