• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning runny eyes

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
hello :wave: me little man Carlo has a bit of a runny eye, nowt wrong with his teefs the vet said, and have tried eye drops, so I have come to the conclusion that he may have damaged tear ducts, so as it doesn't bother him, I want to just keep cleaning them up every week rather than getting them flushed all the time which could possibly stretch them:cry:

So how do you do it? and do you use anything? I have heard cold tea mentioned once I am sure:? But haven't used this myself

i just clean with warm water, and apply barrier cream just under the eye to stop the skin getting sore.
i was also taught how to flush tearducts myself, which comes in handy :)

I have always used cooled chamomile tea - it soothes the area. Also I very very gently massage the area by the nose, which bunnies seem to like... and in the past the eyes have cleared in a couple of days.

massaging the area can also encourage the pus etc to travel up the tearducts and out, so thats always useful :D

Does he have a partner? They are usually the best remedy to a runny eye as they groom the area the afflicted bun can't.

Sea does a lovely job of keeping Oscars bad eye clean - I haven't had to bathe it nearly as often since she arrived:love:

Does he have a partner? They are usually the best remedy to a runny eye as they groom the area the afflicted bun can't.

Sea does a lovely job of keeping Oscars bad eye clean - I haven't had to bathe it nearly as often since she arrived:love:
Bobby only gives Carlo a few licks when she is grooming herself, she is a real premaddonna:lol: carlo is the one that does all the grooms.

His eyes aren't too bad just have to clean them very couple of weeks really, have been using warm water but I may try the chamomile tea

they are the best! Maisy always used to wash Sherpa's eyes, i never had too. Only a few hours after Maisy died, Sherpa's eyes were all gungy and clogged up. She really was his little nurse.

Charlie has a terrible problem with a runny eye, the xrays show his teeth roots are fine, he has one more week on the tiacil and ive been told to bathe with cooled boiled water, the vet thinks he has scarred tear ducts bless him. cc

Charlie has a terrible problem with a runny eye, the xrays show his teeth roots are fine, he has one more week on the tiacil and ive been told to bathe with cooled boiled water, the vet thinks he has scarred tear ducts bless him. cc

i personnally think Tiacil is rubbish. it has never done anything for my bunies. (of course it works for some poeple and not for others :roll: )
i think Sherps had scarred tearducts too, i just manage it with washing. if the eye gets really sore, red and inflamed i find maxitrol drops work fantastically

Back