• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Waverley Abbey

Lillian

Warren Veteran
Yesterday we took a trip to Waverley Abbey ruins. I thought it would nice to share some photos (It kept raining, was very damp and very windy so there's not any great pics but you get the idea)

Waverley Abbey was the first Cistercian abbey in England, founded in 1128 by William Giffard, Bishop of Winchester. It is situated about one mile south of Farnham, Surrey, in a bend of the River Wey. By the end of the thirteenth century the abbey was becoming less important. By the time it was suppressed by Henry VIII in 1536 as part of the dissolution of the monasteries there were only thirteen monks in the community. Several tv shows and movies have filmed scenes at Waverley Abbey, inculding 28 days later.

Look at all those lilypads covering the River Wey!!

bridge2.jpg

abbey2.jpg

abbey6.jpg

abbey7.jpg

abbey5.jpg

abbey8.jpg

abbey3.jpg

abbey11.jpg

abbey15.jpg

abbey.jpg

The site of Waverley Abbey formed part of the defences of London set up in World War II.

The brick gun emplacement built in 1940

warbits3.jpg

warbits4.jpg

Tank traps along the bank of the River Wey at the back of the abbey.

warbits.jpg

Was a beautiful peaceful place :love:

Wow, it looks really interesting there!

I loveee looking round old buildings, especially when they are derelict and have such history!

Steve and I have been there on our one and only short break. We got engaged the day before, and have interesting memories of the abbey ;):lol:

Back