• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Photo Competitions if you didnt take the photo

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
What are your thoughts?

Ive had an enquiry today from someone who i took their bunnies photo. They want to enter it in a competition and wanted to know if i was okay. I have said "I am sorry, but all photos taken by myself cannot be used for any competitions or be sold". They are annoyed and have said "at least i asked" and i said "yes i and i apriciate that you have asked, but this is not allowed"

I just think if you are entering a "photo competition" you should have taken the photo yourself.

Do you agree? or do you think she should be able to use them for whatever she intends?

i have stuck to my decision i just wanted to know what other peoples opinions are. In some situations i may say say yes depending on it, but its a competition i have entered myself (not on here its local), and its a photo competition, so i just think they should take the pic themselves.

x

What sort of competition was is? If it was "Beautiful Bunny" comp or something then I think I'd be ok, but if it was for the actual photo that would not be ok?

I think I would have let her use the photo but made sure she mentioned that it was taken by someone else and not herself. :)

I guess it depends what its judging - if its the content of the photo i guess it would be ok, but if its judging the quality of the picture itself then it should be something they've taken themselves.

I agree. Someone used one of my pics in a calendar that was published without asking me first. I was really annoyed. I would actually have of course said yes anyway in this instance (it was a charity calendar), but whoever took the photo has the rights to it, and should make the decisions they want about that photo.

I think your decision was fair because you took the photo. Its very good they asked though.

Speaking of which SJ I sent Liz that Photo you took where Dinky is sticking his tounge out for her funny bunny photo thing, hope that's ok :oops::oops::oops:

What sort of competition was is? If it was "Beautiful Bunny" comp or something then I think I'd be ok, but if it was for the actual photo that would not be ok?

thats my thoughts exactly, i have had an enquiry before it was for "Beautiful Bunny" and i said yes it was fine because its about the bunny. but this competition was called "Animals in action" and its action shots, so obviously its hard to get quick action shots of bunnies, and i manage to take one of their bunny zooming around and its a good action shot. so i just feel they shouldn take credit for it? especially when its a cash prize :?

this competition was called "Animals in action" and its action shots, so obviously its hard to get quick action shots of bunnies, and i manage to take one of their bunny zooming around and its a good action shot. so i just feel they shouldn take credit for it? especially when its a cash prize :?

That is actually pretty bad then :shock: why on earth would she think it ok to use a picture she hadn't taken for that!

thats my thoughts exactly, i have had an enquiry before it was for "Beautiful Bunny" and i said yes it was fine because its about the bunny. but this competition was called "Animals in action" and its action shots, so obviously its hard to get quick action shots of bunnies, and i manage to take one of their bunny zooming around and its a good action shot. so i just feel they shouldn take credit for it? especially when its a cash prize :?

You should say that if they want their bunny represented in the competition you're more than happy to enter the photo yourself so that people can see their beautiful bun.

A lot of competitions state in their rules that the photo must have been taken by the person who enters it. It's not fair if they then take the photo of someone with good camera skills and enter it as their own.

I took some photos of a friends dog once, and she entered one in a competition and it won. I'd have said she could enter it if she'd asked, but she only told me afterwards, and she took the credit for the photo.

A lot of competitions state in their rules that the photo must have been taken by the person who enters it. It's not fair if they then take the photo of someone with good camera skills and enter it as their own.

Yes this. If it's a PHOTO competition then it must be entered by the person who took it. Anything else is copyright infringement.

Back