• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits dislike certain people?

Amy104

Warren Veteran
A few months back I took on a bunny from my Hubbys collegue and I know it sounds silly but I seriously think she doesn't like me.

Now, she is not an agressive bunny, if she was I don't think it would upset me as much. She really loves a fuss as long as its from anyone but me. She adores my other half but every time I go anywhere near her even to get a food bowl she lunges and bites.

My hubby thinks I am making it up and I think the vets thought I was loopy when I warned them to go careful with her as she didn't cause a prob.

Hopefully now she has been spayed she will start to settle but is there anything I've missed I could try.

N.B

I don't re-arrange her hutch when she's in it
I don't wear any strong perfumes etc around her

It might be that you smell of something that distresses her.

Potentially though, they do behave in different ways with different people.

We had a vicious rabbit who was vicious to me, but world's most soppy rabbit to my dad.

I guess its that saying 'bite the hand that feeds'.

Is she spayed?

There is the very possibility that this behaviour is related to whatever routines she had at the college and it may take time to break her.

Are you scared of her? What is she like to you out of her cage?

Is she spayed?

Yes, but only a week ago. When she came to me she was overweight so we had to sort that before the vet could safely operate.

Are you scared of her?

No, I think this is why I get bit so much, maybe I don't react i.e move away so am an easy target?

What is she like to you out of her cage?

Fidgety, like she can't wait to get away from me.

I think bunnies don't like generally out of fear, so i'd say she is just scared. However, maybe it is association based, something you smell of or wearing is upseting her. Also i think certain bunnys can behave differently depending on the person. So it may just be that is the way she feels she wants to react with you. I wouldn't associate any meanings to it. I know blaze feels the need to lunge at me when i go into the cage. I haven't tested if he has hutch aggression with anyone else. I think bunnys react very differently to men and women though. Some bunnys prefer one sex of human.

If it's her food bowl, blaze does this. I can't put my hand in or he will have it off. He is really aggressive with his bowl. I just have to drop his food in. Even then he trys to attack me. Short of this i can take him out, fill his food bowl then put him back in. He doesn't mind me picking him up, but should i touch anything in his hutch, he gets very upset.

Ambience x

P.s In fact- that is definately food aggression. If she is fine out of the cage etc and for cuddles. Blaze is the same, totaly sweetheart out of his hutch , love cuddles, very gentle, very kind. I take it she is fine with you outside the hutch?

Last edited:
Like Sky-O has said it could be your scent? Archie automatically grooms Blanche whenever my mum strokes her ... I'm guessing she leaves beind a smell that he does not like :lol:

How long ago was she spayed? I had a girl who I found in my backyard one day who was like that to me. I couldn't go near her. Turns out she was pregnant, and super hormonal towards me. I read somewhere that they can pick up on our hormones and that can make some females uncomfortable, especially when they are in a transition in life.

Once my girl had her babies, she was less hormonal herself, and she learned to be ok with me. But she never did like me as much as my husband.

Teddy really didn't like G!! I "think" he kicked him once though, so I fully support his dislike!! He had a good judge of character!! :love:

How long ago was she spayed? I had a girl who I found in my backyard one day who was like that to me. I couldn't go near her. Turns out she was pregnant, and super hormonal towards me. I read somewhere that they can pick up on our hormones and that can make some females uncomfortable, especially when they are in a transition in life.

Once my girl had her babies, she was less hormonal herself, and she learned to be ok with me. But she never did like me as much as my husband.

Agree , my first bunny bit me because she was pregnant. Another thing to consider x

:shock::shock::evil:

He used to nibble and dig G's feet and I once heard him go clunk. I "asked" if he'd kicked him and he said that Ted had got in his way when he was mid-step. :? :evil:

(He disliked him before he got kicked.)

I didn't let Ted in a room with G alone after that.

Finley hates my mom he lunges at her from across the room and even though he's deaf he still knows where she is even if she's snuck into a room (yes she does this otherwise she gets mauled) he'll kinda bounce 2ft of the floor and flying tackle her grunting and biting all the time quite scary to watch and yet with me since his op he's a pussycat.

i think it's fear mum had the duty of rescuing him from next door neighbours child after she helped herself to him out of the run and now i think he associates mum with that horrible experience.

The only horrible experience she might associate with me is putting her on a diet - she was a bit overweight when she came to me so had to lose it so she could be spayed safely. Perhaps she thinks I'm starving her?

Back