• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ever feel like you're being watched?!

I can believe it, I bet he is going to become a permanent visitor - and people think rabbits are stupid, they aren't daft, he/she is going to wear you down and eventually end up living in the garden I expect :lol:

Edited to add, bit like this little girl/boy - they come everyday for brekkies and dinner :roll::lol:

DSC00662.jpg

Last edited:
He is living in the garden, he hasn't left since he turned up! I thought he may have been on his way out when I saw him though as the path out of the garden is just to the left of my window.

But noooo, he had some grass and hopped off back down the bottom of the garden! :roll::lol:

The squirrell is very cute! I don't see many over here as we just have the red squirrells and they hide a lot. I think I've only seen one in the 12 years I've lived over here. I miss the manky mainland squirrells! :lol:

He is living in the garden, he hasn't left since he turned up! I thought he may have been on his way out when I saw him though as the path out of the garden is just to the left of my window.

But noooo, he had some grass and hopped off back down the bottom of the garden! :roll::lol:

The squirrell is very cute! I don't see many over here as we just have the red squirrells and they hide a lot. I think I've only seen one in the 12 years I've lived over here. I miss the manky mainland squirrells! :lol:

Awwww perhaps he knows he is safe ;) Your welcome to the ones I get, there's about 3 of them, they don't go on the floor they come in via the tree's to the bird table and off again, they are funny, they are very healthy aswell - would be on the diet they get on my bird table little tykes:evil::lol:

Aww, I'm so glad he's still with you! :D What do your guys make of him?

VickiP, is that a red squirrel!? :shock:

He is gorgeous isn't he? And he defiantley suits his name, he runs round like a little Rocket! I've tried filming in but he runs out of shot too fast so I just end up with a video of the grass swaying in his wake. :lol:

My rabbits aren't too bothered to be honest. If they're out free-ranging and he pops out of his hiding place, they'll ignore him mostly. When he was a baby, he'd climb all over Brian for some reason but now he's a bit bigger, he seems to hide more. If the buns are free-ranging then I'm always outside with them so he rarely comes out for more then a few minutes. Jess is a misery and will chase him away if he gets too close. I did wonder if it was a good idea to let mine out to free-range with him in the garden but I figured they'd still have contact through the wire of the hutches anyway. They all had their myxi boosters last month. I'm always around to supervise too, just in case. And as he seems to have decided to stay, mine would never get any free range time! :roll::lol:

Aww, I'm so glad he's still with you! :D What do your guys make of him?

VickiP, is that a red squirrel!? :shock:

:love::love:Georgie that sounds so cute, Hoppit, no they do all have a brownish redish tint on their face and body though:? I thought that one day looking at them that they are quite diddy aswell and do have brownish tints - no the red ones are all red I think and very sweet, Georgie do you get red squirrels ?- maybe put up a pic if you can.:wave:

I've only seen one red squirrel in the 12 years I've lived here. :shock: We'd never get them by my house anyway, it's far too treeless here by the coast. Red squirrels seem to hide away in really wooded areas. I can steal a photo from the internet though... ;):lol:

red_squirrel-ray_eye.jpg

Red squirrels are smaller than greys and have tufted ears. Every so often there's an uproar when someone finds a grey coloured one just in case it is an actual grey squirrel. Apparently you can be put in prison for trying to bring a grey squirrel onto the island. :shock:

I've only seen one red squirrel in the 12 years I've lived here. :shock: We'd never get them by my house anyway, it's far too treeless here by the coast. Red squirrels seem to hide away in really wooded areas. I can steal a photo from the internet though... ;):lol:

red_squirrel-ray_eye.jpg

Red squirrels are smaller than greys and have tufted ears. Every so often there's an uproar when someone finds a grey coloured one just in case it is an actual grey squirrel. Apparently you can be put in prison for trying to bring a grey squirrel onto the island. :shock:

Awww I better take that one out of my handbag then :lol: I can see why when you think they would probably destroy the red's they are lovely little critters :love:

I think it's a case of they would destroy the red squirrel population.

As I understand it, the whole of the UK used to have only red squirrels and the greys were imported from America. They bought some desease with them which greys are resistant to but reds are not. The greys are also much bigger so would win any fights for food or territories hands down.

Shame they can't co-exist as I love the look of the reds but I love the greys as they're so much more fun! :lol:

I think it's a case of they would destroy the red squirrel population.

As I understand it, the whole of the UK used to have only red squirrels and the greys were imported from America. They bought some desease with them which greys are resistant to but reds are not. The greys are also much bigger so would win any fights for food or territories hands down.

Shame they can't co-exist as I love the look of the reds but I love the greys as they're so much more fun! :lol:

Yep, that's exactly it. The disease you're thinking of is parapox, sometimes called squirrel pox. It's a virus, something like a squirrel myxi. It's pretty nasty. :(

The greys are more adaptable as they will eat different food, and as they're bigger than the reds they win fights for food as you said.

There is also (disputed) evidence that greys reproduce faster, and that they purposely fight with each other, not just over territory or food. However it's not been proven. They're pretty strict about protecting them, I know there's meant to be a decent population on the IoW so it dosen't surprise me.

The reds are fun to watch if they don't see you, but are very shy. Which is why many people prefer the greys, they're better with people.

Sorry, squirrel fan :oops:

Yep, that's exactly it. The disease you're thinking of is parapox, sometimes called squirrel pox. It's a virus, something like a squirrel myxi. It's pretty nasty. :(

The greys are more adaptable as they will eat different food, and as they're bigger than the reds they win fights for food as you said.

There is also (disputed) evidence that greys reproduce faster, and that they purposely fight with each other, not just over territory or food. However it's not been proven. They're pretty strict about protecting them, I know there's meant to be a decent population on the IoW so it dosen't surprise me.

The reds are fun to watch if they don't see you, but are very shy. Which is why many people prefer the greys, they're better with people.

Sorry, squirrel fan :oops:

:lol::lol::lol: So who's a genius now then?! :p

I think I might have to go on a mission to see a red squirrell soon. :D

:lol::lol::lol: So who's a genius now then?! :p

I think I might have to go on a mission to see a red squirrell soon. :D

Don't they have a little rope bridge over one of the roads on the Island? I am sure I saw that on the news, it's in a forest somewhere and they were getting killed on the road so conservationists came up with the idea of a rope bridge between the trees?

Don't they have a little rope bridge over one of the roads on the Island? I am sure I saw that on the news, it's in a forest somewhere and they were getting killed on the road so conservationists came up with the idea of a rope bridge between the trees?

Yeah! :D I think there are actually quite a few 'squirrel bridges' here and there now! We have quite a few three legged squirrels too - there's a rescue somewhere that often get them in after they've caught a leg on something and they rehabilitate them and let them go free again. :love:

Sooooo cute, I have a wildy that keeps getting into my random run sat in the garden, it sits in there for a few hours eating then wonders off again :shock: mad :lol:

Sooooo cute, I have a wildy that keeps getting into my random run sat in the garden, it sits in there for a few hours eating then wonders off again :shock: mad :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

My wildie dug Pharrell and Daphne out of their run one day - I looked out the window to see P&D running around the garden and the wildie in the run! :lol: You can't help but wonder what goes through their minds sometimes can you?! :roll:

Back